Chapter Seven - "A Thousand and One"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Seven

'A thousand-and-one'

Scene . . .

Continuing

Joe's POV

I took this all in with haste. It wasn't anything that made me feel repulsed by her, but her expression made it seem like I should. "Ever?" I asked after she'd finished speaking.

"Well, I do get 'watery' eyes when I yawn, or when it's really windy outside. But no. I haven't ACTUALLY cried." Her eyes were on my face, and she tried to pull a smile, but it wasn't 'her' smile. It wasn't real.

"Demi," I said. "Is this some kind of issue?" She shook her head no.

"I just want to know what it feels like, but then again, I don't." She brushed a long, thick piece of hair that had escaped from her ponytail away from her face, but it just fell down again. "Smiling makes me forget, though. I found that when life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, give life a thousand reasons to smile." I beamed brightly at her and grabbed that one piece of hair.

"I guess, now, for me," I started, tucking that piece of hair behind her ear. She peered up into my eyes as I spoke. "A thousand-and-one."

Demi and I walked back to Pinkberry to get our cars. I had my arm around her shoulders as she told me about her move-in with her best friend Selena. Even though it was only my first time getting to know Demi, I felt really comfortable around her. There was something about her that was really welcoming and open. I constantly wanted to stay close to her because her atmosphere was so inviting. It was like something was pulling me toward her, and if I left, my whole body would hurt. Just pain and sadness like a pang, and my stomach would be in knots. It was a strange affect she had on me, or maybe even just people in general.

"I want to know what kind of person you are, Demi. Because you seem pretty amazing to me, right now." She bit her lip and looked up at me from under those long eyelashes.

" She bit her lip and looked up at me from under those long eyelashes

"I'm the kind of person who doesn't say much. Sometimes, I don't know what to say at all. But when I do say something, I mean every word of it." We reached the Pinkberry parking lot, and I removed my arm from around her neck. I walked her to her car, and she smiled as she turned to look at me. "And I think you're pretty amazing too. This whole thing has been so incredible. I couldn't have asked for a better day. Thanks." She wrapped her arms around my waist and I hugged the center of her back. Her hair smelled like raspberries. I gripped onto her tightly before we released each other. I didn't want this day to end, but I figured there would be others just like it, maybe better.

"I had a great time, too. Can we do this again sometime?" To my surprise, her lips fell against my cheek. The blood rushed up to my face as soon as she made contact, and I froze. I was blushing so hard, she probably had felt the heat against her lips.

She pulled back and opened her car's door with a smile on her face. "Absolutely." With that, she got in and pulled out of her space. As I made my way over to my own car, the knots inside my stomach began to form. We'd only spent about four hours together, and I already couldn't keep myself away. I was pretty sure Demi's differences from other girls were what kept me so close. She was sweet, and kind, and didn't ask for much. I accepted her flaws, and vice versa, and we clicked. I smiled the entire drive home, ignoring the heavy sinking pain I was feeling in my gut. I thought about everything that Demi'd told me. How she was anxious to move away from her parents when she finished school. How she fell in love with the museum the minute she saw it. What stuck to me the most, though, was that she'd never cried before. She told me how much she'd wanted to, just to know the feeling. But she didn't want it for the wrong reason. I would do everything I could, but I knew that I didn't want to be the one to make her shed her first tears.

JJDL