Chapter Nine - "Don't Say You're Mad at Me"

"I've Never Cried"

'Don't say you're mad at me'

Chapter Nine

Scene...

Continuing

Joe's POV

Demi stalked over toward Nick and made circles around him. She had her hands on her bare hips as she looked him up and down. When she reached his front again, she smiled. "It's been a while, hasn't it?" Demi asked, tilting her head up to look at his face. "You've gotten tall."

"Wow," Nick began, checking her out. "Dems, when'd you get so stacked?" I glared at him. I heard Selena clear her throat and Demi laughed. "I mean . . . you look different, too. Damn, Joe was right about you." He mumbled lastly under his breath. Nick's hand rubbed the back of his neck, and he looked down.

"Oh? And what did Joe say?" Demi's eyes turned toward me, raising an eyebrow

"Nothing! Nothing at all." I exclaimed. She smirked and turned back at the sound of Nick's voice.

"Dems, last time I saw you, you were all pale and brunette. Remember those bangs you had? And that gap-"

"Shut up!" Demi said, punching his shoulder. "I got the gap fixed, tanned, and grew my bangs out. I'm not the stubby little nerd I used to be. Things changed."

Nick licked his lips. "Obviously."

"Okay! I think that's enough!" Selena yelled, glaring at Nick ruefully. I caught her eye.

"I agree. Are you ready to go, Demi?" I asked, feeling uncomfortable, but not nearly as angry as Selena had. Demi came toward me and gripped my hand again.

"Sure."

-----

Demi and I walked through Disneyland after getting off the last roller coaster. She got a lot of looks from other guys the first five minutes we were there, so I kept my arm around her shoulders. She didn't seem to notice the guys, but I definitely did.

"That was amazing! What's next?"

"What do you want to do next?" I questioned. Demi's eyes scanned the large theme park.

"Teacups?" She tried. I grinned.

"Sure."

We started the walk to the teacups, and Demi held my hand that was dangling around her shoulders. "So, what exactly did you tell Nick about me?" She bit her lip and glanced up at me as we walked. I smirked.

"You wouldn't look at me the same if I told you." She shoved my chest and laughed.

"At Least you're not as bad as your brother. I mean, seriously. 'When did you get so stacked?' Who would do that right in front of their girlfriend?" She tried to deepen her voice to sound like Nick, but it was an obvious failed attempt.

"You don't have to worry about that with me," I said as we climbed into the teacup. "I don't really have that option." I was joking, but Demi caught that. Her mood dropped dramatically, and I felt guilty.

"Demi, I didn't mean-"

"It's okay, Joe," She interjected. "I know what you meant." The ride started and Demi and I began turning the wheel in the center. As we went faster and faster, the wind started to pick up. When I glanced at Demi, her eyes glittered, but no tears fell. I sighed. That was exactly what I didn't want. When the ride ended, I escorted Demi off of the teacup. Instead of returning to our original position, we walked awkwardly side-by-side. It was around four, and I was starting to get hungry.

"Do you want something to eat?" I asked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Um, I'm actually ready to go home now." She murmured, tugging on her half-shirt. I let out a heavy breath and stood in front of her.

"Don't say you're mad at me."

"I'm not mad at you, Joe." She started fiddling with her hands, and I knew she was lying.

"Demi, I know you're mad. Don't lie to me." She ran her fingers through her newly colored hair, and brought herself closer to me. Her hands fell against my chest, and she looked me in the eye.

"It's just . . . You know my situation, and why I chose for us to be friends. I really don't need someone to try and take advantage of that, or make me feel guilty for it. And you seem to be doing a lot of that right about now."

"I'm sorry," I whispered, feeling heavy on my shoulders. She made her point pretty clearly, but I still felt like something more was there. "I'm not trying to take advantage of you. I know it's gonna sound sappy, but there's just something about you that I'm scared to lose because I know I won't find it in anyone else." Demi's lips turned the slightest bit upward, and she released a small happy sigh. I continued, "Yeah, sure it's only been a few days. But, I know what I'm feeling." She was staring into my eyes, seeming almost in a daze. "Demi?" I still got no reaction. I stared back into her big brown orbs, and noticed that they were starting to shimmer. I leaned into her slowly, and carefully watched her face. Finally, she blinked a few times and came back to reality. I sighed softly to myself, and gently kissed her forehead instead.

"I-I don't know what to say to that, Joe." She muttered, a smile playing on her lips. "That was the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me." I waited for a tear to fall, but it didn't. She wrapped her arms around my neck, and held me tightly. I felt it was safe to touch her skin, so I hugged her bare waist.

"I'm so glad I met you." She whispered quietly in my ear.

"The feeling's mutual, Dem."

JJDL

*****Leave your comments! I love reading your thoughts, ideas, and opinions. :)*****