Chapter Eight - "Marry You?"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Eight

'marry you?'

Scene . . .

The next morning

Joe's POV

Nick walked into the kitchen rubbing his fist over his eye. I was sitting at the kitchen table, sipping on a coffee.

"Morning, bro," He said, a yawn escaping his lips.

"Morning," I replied simply, staring into the phone in my hand. I was contemplating on whether or not I should call Demi again. I had a great place in mind that I knew she'd love, but I couldn't seem to place the words correctly in my head.

"How'd your date with that 'Demi' girl go?" I rolled my eyes at his choice of adjectives.

"It wasn't a date. She just wanted to hang out." He sat down in the chair parallel from me, a plate of waffles in front of him.

"Hang out, huh?" he smirked at me. " I 'hang out' with Selena all the time."

"Speaking of Selena," I said, ignoring his perverse comments. "Demi lives with her. Has been for a while now."

Nick practically choked on his waffle. "She, what?"

I continued, "She mentioned you, too. She told me that when she first saw me, she thought I looked like you. Weird, right?"

"She's seen me?" He said, jabbing his finger into his own chest. "Are you sure? I mean, I do remember meeting a Demi, once. But she was nothing like the way you described your Demi."

I shrugged my shoulders and set down the coffee in my hand

I shrugged my shoulders and set down the coffee in my hand. "Maybe it's a coincidence . . ." Nick showed the slightest bit of nervousness. He shoved a waffle down his throat, and peered up at me.

"Well," He started, "I'm heading over to Selena's house after I'm done eating. Do you want to come?" He let out a small nervous laugh, which confused me. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Wait, you ACTUALLY want me to MEET your girlfriend? But won't I -oh I don't know- 'embarrass you'?" Sarcasm was obvious in my voice.

I could tell anger was rising in Nick's face. "Look, Joe. Do you want to go, or not?!" I laughed silently to myself and nodded.

"Sure."

-----

Nick and I stood at the front door of Selena's house. He knocked, and I stood behind him, waiting silently. After a moment, a tall, skinny, short-haired brunette answered the door.

"Nick!" She exclaimed, hugging him around the neck. Nick squeezed her waist tightly. "What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in weeks." Nick pulled back the slightest bit, but kept his hands on her waist.

"I wanted to see you. Can we come in?"

"We?" Selena asked. She hadn't seen me. I stepped toward her.

"Hi."

"Oh, you're his brother. What's your name?"

"It's Joe. Nice to meet you." Selena tapped her finger on her chin when Nick released her.

"Joe . . . Oh! I know you. I talked to you on the phone yesterday. You're here for Demi, aren't you?" I felt the heat rise to my face. "Come in." She said, smiling. "I'm pretty sure she wants to see you, too." We walked in the average sized house and into the living room. Nick and Selena placed themselves on the couch, cuddling and kissing. It kind of grossed me out, so I asked,

"Um, where's Demi?" Selena turned to me and giggled as Nick kissed her neck.

"Upstairs. Nick!" I rolled my eyes and jogged up the stairs.

"Joe?" I heard when I'd reached the top. I whirled around to see a somewhat blonde Demi wearing a pair of long skinny jeans, and a small sleeveless jean jacket with a black shirt that stopped at the upper part of her flat stomach.

"Hey, Demi. I see you went along with the highlights." I said, eyeing the two diamonds on her belly button.

"Yeah, I did. What are you doing here? I was gonna call you today." She said, with a smile on her face. I smiled back at her.

"I wanted to take you somewhere, if you don't mind." I put my hand out for her to take. She grabbed it gracefully and we walked down the stairs.

"Where?" She said once we'd reached the bottom.

"Disneyland. I'll buy." She froze and looked at me; her face excited.

"Are you serious? Absolutely! A million times yes!" She threw her body at me and hugged me around the neck. I didn't know what to do with my hands, since her skin was bare, so I just patted her back. 

Nick and Selena stood up and turned to us

"What did you do, Joe? Ask her to marry you?" Nick said with a sly smile on his face. Demi's face was still in my neck, and when she released me, she turned toward him.

"Nick?"

JJDL