Chapter Thirty-five - "I Want You."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Thirty-five

'I Want You.'

Scene...

Continuing

Joe's POV

"Tell me something," Demi whispered, her fingers entangled in mine as she leaned against my chest. It had been about an hour since the plates lost their lives to Demi's rage-filled demonstration, and my shirt was sticking to my chest; wet with Demi's never-ending tears. 

With Nick's quick and easy recovery once I had apologized, I hadn't realized just how severely I had wounded Demi. She was a complete emotional mess, and right then I had understood why she initially had tried to conceal how she truly felt. Once she lost grip, she could barely regain it. As if she had fallen from the cliff that was destined for me, broken every bone in her body, and still tried to climb back up. It was harder for her than it was for me, because she'd taken the plunge without a warning.

"Anything," I replied. I was sure that after what we'd just been through, I could handle anything.

"W-when you kissed her," she gulped, I imagined she was choking back more tears. "Did you feel anything?"

"Just anger," I responded, my mind taking me back to that night. "And guilt."

"Did you . . .  did you, want her?" I wished I could see her face, but I couldn't stand to see the tears I'd caused. I sighed, knowing that I had to be honest with her.

"I wish I could say I didn't."

"Do you still want her?"

"I only want you." She pulled her hand out of my own.

"What makes you so sure?"

"Because I want to marry you." The world stood still right then, but I truly meant it. I had never said it out loud, but it felt good to get it out into the air. Demi stood from my lap so quickly, it was almost a blur. She then re-positioned herself beside me on the blindingly white sofa, her face completely surprised.

"You want to what?" She said, staring at me in awe. I turned toward her, looking her deeply in those tear-stained, chocolate brown eyes.

"I want you to be my wife."

It was only after Demi hadn't responded that I began to feel nervous

It was only after Demi hadn't responded that I began to feel nervous. She just kept looking at me, and I couldn't read her expression properly. I knew, at least, that she was surprised, but I couldn't quite tell whether or not that was a positive. Finally, after a moment that seemed like a year, she spoke.

"Joe, we only dated for six months, and I'm only nineteen and, a-and we're not even together."

"I know," I said, standing and walking toward the front of her. I kneeled then, reaching for her face and wiping away those dreadful tears. I could tell that by my positioning, she felt I was going to propose. I continued speaking before she could react. "And that is why I am going to do everything I possibly can to win you back." I took her small hands in mine, brought them to my lips, and then back down.

"Joe, I-"

"On the day of your twentieth birthday, I will ask you again. But until then, I promise you, I am going to fight."

JJDL

*****I kept this chapter short on purpose! I have some big stuff planned for the next few parts, so I thought I'd leave you with a teaser! Gimme some predictions in the comment section.*****