Chapter Forty-six - "ChapStick"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Forty-six

'ChapStick'

Scene...

One Hour Later

Joe's POV

"Strawberry?"

"Mm... Nope. Guess again."

"Pineapple?" I asked.

"Wrong again," She grinned at me, planting her lips on mine a third time. When she pulled away, I ran my tongue over my lips a third time, attempting to guess the flavor of the Chapstick she wore.

"Cherry!" I said, sure I had nailed it.

"Yes!" She laughed at my excitement.

Demi and I sat beneath the willow tree at the park where we'd had our first 'date'. I had laid out a picnic blanket beneath us, along with a basket that was filled with multiple foods I'd prepared for her birthday.

 I had laid out a picnic blanket beneath us, along with a basket that was filled with multiple foods I'd prepared for her birthday

"This is crazy," I said, as she leaned against my arm. I kept my hand in hers; she turned to look at me.

"What's crazy?"That pretty smile never left her lips.

"I don't wanna ruin the moment . . ," I began, but she egged me on.

"Joe, what is it!?" I sighed, happily, stroking her hand with my thumb.

"It's just . . . this feels too good to be true. I didn't think you would ever forgive me." She sat up then, looking over me as I remained lying in the grass.

"You know, I didn't think I would either," she said, her eyes wandering about. "But . . . I don't know, I'm just not angry anymore."

"I have a theory," I said, sitting up as a smirk appeared on my face. I leaned back onto my hands, Demi grinning as she waited for whatever I would say next.

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Well, let's walk through the stages. I pick you up from the hotel, you're as angry as ever. Then, I take you to my house and you hit me, still angry as ever. But here's the kicker," I said, leaning close to her. I watched her face, trying to read her mind as I took her through the morning's events. "You completely pummel Selena in the most vicious attack I've ever witnessed-," She laughed then, so loudly she almost missed my closing statement, "and then you're all smiles again."

"So what you're saying is, I got it all out with her?" She asked, laughing between every few words.

"I guess so," I responded

"I guess so," I responded. "Remind me to thank her?"

"Will do," she said. "If I ever even talk to her again."

Demi seemed to be trying to play that off as a joke, but I knew her well enough to see that it wasn't. I didn't think it was my place to try and defend Selena by any means, but I thought if I threw out some bait, I could get through the conversation blamelessly.

"You know that painting?" I asked her, watching her eyes. She nodded, the corners of her mouth turning upward at the memory.

 She nodded, the corners of her mouth turning upward at the memory

"Of course."

"Selena did that. She helped me with that entire room, actually. But mostly, the painting." Demi's eyes widened slightly.

"No way," she said in disbelief.

"Yeah she did. She was a pain in the ass, but she did that painting all by herself." Demi's eyebrows pulled together in confusion. I decided to keep talking, as I felt that Demi's disbelief would keep her heart open to possibilities. "Do you think you can ever forgive her, like you forgave me?" I asked.

Her eyebrows lifted then, and she let out a sigh as she spoke.

"I don't really want to talk about that." She blinked.

"Okay, then we don't have to."

I was disappointed, but I didn't want to pry. I still felt the topic was sensitive, since everything had just happened this morning. I had to consider where Demi's mind was. Just because things seemed better, it didn't mean we were entirely out of the woods. The way out looked pretty clear, and I didn't want to be the one responsible for throwing more things in our path. I had to focus on Demi, and getting her out with me. And if she was comfortable wandering, then I was too.

JJDL

*****Should Demi forgive Selena? Is Demi too quick to forgive Joe?*****