Chapter Twelve - "A Sweet Kiss"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Twelve

'A Sweet Kiss'

Scene . . .

Continuing

Joe's POV

"What was that about?" Demi asked me once we were in the water, Selena and Nick far out of earshot. "Nick was obviously scared of you. What'd you say to him?"

The water was up about mid-thigh, bright, blue, and relaxing. I watched my reflection ripple in the waves, and sighed silently to myself. "We were having a small argument, and I got mad. It's not a big deal."

"I wasn't making it out to be, Joe." She mumbled, her eyes scanning my face for answers. "What happened?"

I let go of her hand, and looked her directly in the eye. "He implied some perverse things about you. I was just angry. It was nothing." She nodded slowly, and let it go.

"Well, it's nice to know that you care so much." She stated, arms crossed. I smiled at her, and suddenly found myself underwater. Demi's arms pressed against my chest, forcing me under as she collapsed over me.

We came up laughing, and I plotted my revenge. "I had that coming," I said through a laugh. When Demi lifted her arms to adjust her hair, I ran to her and threw half of her body over my shoulder. Her fists punched my back as I carried her deeper into the water.

"Joe, put me down!" I laughed to myself.

"You asked for it . . ." I said, and dropped her into the water. She came up quickly, a playful angry look on her face. I ran after her, and she screamed, struggling to run in the now waist-high water. Finally, I caught her from behind, and spun her around until I got dizzy. When I dropped her to her feet, she wrapped her hands around my wrists, trying to gain balance while she giggled. My mouth went dry as I stared at the girl who'd fallen against me. Her turquoise two-piece was strapless, the water making her skin and eyes glisten. I watched her eyes carefully, basking in her beauty, and leaned into her face. Placing my wet hands on her waist, I pulled her close, and waited for approval to do what I was going to. She began to lean toward me, too, mesmerized.

Slowly, I pressed my lips against hers, and held my breath.

Demi's response was quick and immediate. She tightened her arms around my neck and brought me closer. It was a sweet kiss that I didn't want to end. I did pull away, though, only to have Demi lean closer and make us reconnect. I could hear Selena and Nick in the distance, trying to pretend like they weren't watching. I didn't care. Right then, I felt luckier than the both of them.

When she pulled away from me, her eyes stayed on my face.

"Why'd you do that?" She asked, breathing heavily. Suddenly, I felt guilty. I began to panic, not sure of what she'd think now.

"My God, Demi. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"Don't be," She said smiling at me. "I was the one missing out." Relief washed over my shoulders, and I hugged her tightly.

"I just . . . It won't happen again, okay? Really, I wasn't trying to pressure you again, and-"

"Joe, it's okay, really!" She let go of my body completely, and smiled a false smile. "You're forgiven. No harm done."

-----

Selena was pretty silent most of the ride back, mostly ignoring Demi and I. She was leaned against my chest in the back seat of the car, my arm around her shoulders. Briefly, Demi caught sight of Selena glaring at her through a mirror. I watched Demi stare at her for a long moment, before slowly closing her eyes. She rolled her eyes at her then, and removed all physical contact with me. This confused me, but I said nothing about it.

We pulled up beside Selena's home, and as the girls started for the door, I got out to walk them

We pulled up beside Selena's home, and as the girls started for the door, I got out to walk them. Selena waved quickly to Nick - who was still in the car- and walked inside. Unexpectedly, Demi turned around to me with a sad expression on her face. She reached behind her back and rested her hand on the doorknob, staring at the ground.

"Listen, Joe, um . . . can we talk later?" Her tone worried me.

"Demi, if this is about-"

"Just, call me, okay? Bye." She walked into the house, without saying another word.

JJDL

*****I wanna know what you guys think is going to happen! Comment your predictions! I love reading them!*****