Chapter Seventeen - "Broke Up"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Seventeen

'Broke Up'

Joe's POV

I visited a doctor a few days later, just to understand the reason that I had been so sick.

"It's called Psychosomatic Response, Mr. Jonas," She'd told me after I'd stated my symptoms. "It's when your psychological emotions become physical. It happens mostly with men; Women tend to cry as an emotional release." I chuckled at the irony of her last statement.

"Not eating for that long amount of time may have only added more to your sickness, however. In men, vomiting is the natural release of stress, rather than crying. So when you deprived yourself of food for such a long amount of time, you were simply vomiting your stomach fluids."

"Your immune system seemed to have weakened because you were without the proper nutrients. And your blood sugar dropped far too low, which may have been what caused you to collapse. I'd suggest that you consume lots of water and vitamins. If you do so, you'll be on your way back to health in no time."

I spent most of my days at home afterward; Demi and Selena coming to visit every now and then. I was constantly happy to see Demi; proud that things were even better than what they used to be. Her smile lit up even more when she saw me, held my hand. Whenever she left, I still got that sick feeling in my stomach, but it was that sick feeling I loved to feel.

Everything seemed to be getting better for me each day. My relationship with Demi, Selena, and Frankie had become even stronger. Nick, however, wouldn't budge. I'd invited him for a number of things: Baseball, visiting his girlfriend, and even the museum. He turned me down for everything, and he'd barely even look at me.

"Nick," I said as I walked down the stairs the next morning. He was sitting at the kitchen table, spinning an apple as he held it by it's stem. I walked nearer to him and placed my hand on his shoulder. "Hey, bro."

"I don't feel like talking to you, Joe." He mumbled, breaking the apple's stem. I felt anger boil inside of me, but sighed and kept my cool.

"Why do I even try?" I said. I was irritated with this. "What's it gonna take for you to forgive me?" He stopped completely then, and turned to look at me. His eyes were tired and drained.

"It's not you," He said, a restless look across his face. "I forgave you a long time ago. I do understand that you and Demi are on good terms now. I understand that you guys are . . . dating, or something." His use of 'Or Something' was right, as I still wasn't exactly sure what was going on between Demi and I officially. He sighed, standing face to face with me suddenly. "I just . . . Selena is . . . she broke up with me."

I stared at him, surprised. "Did she tell you why?"

Nick's face began to fall slowly. I kept my eyes on him, pinpointing his every dropping feature. "I love her . . . a lot. But, I guess she didn't feel what I felt when I told her." He took a deep breath, thought for a second, and continued, "I just didn't expect this."

"Dude, what happened?" Nick ran a hand through his thick bush of curls, crossing in front of me to make his way toward the living room couch. I trailed behind him as he began his story.

"I was on the phone with her last night, and she was just ranting about how stupid she thought Demi was for forgiving you after everything that happened a couple weeks ago

"I was on the phone with her last night, and she was just ranting about how stupid she thought Demi was for forgiving you after everything that happened a couple weeks ago. But I told her that if Demi could forgive you, it wasn't a problem for me. So I didn't understand why it was such a huge deal for her." I didn't understand either. Selena did come off a bit protective of Demi in multiple instances; in fact, she was the reason Demi and I had the huge argument in the first place. She gave Demi a hard time about falling for me, and that caused her to pull away. I had more of a reason to be angry with Selena than she had to be angry with me. Something wasn't adding up. Especially since over the last couple of days, Selena has been nothing but kind to me. It was as if she were acting as two different people.

Nick continued, "We got to arguing after that, and she just didn't understand where I was coming from."

"Did she hang up on you?" I asked, puzzled.

"Yeah. I went over to her house, while you were out today, to apologize," he began, his face indicating that he was returning to the memory. "I just wanted to fix things and just forget about all this. But she was still so hung up on it. She was so angry. She just kept saying that I didn't get it, and that I obviously didn't love her enough to understand. It honestly made no sense."

"I'm gonna go talk to her." I stated, anger visible in my face as I stood to leave. Nick grabbed my arm, his hands wet from his tears.

"Wait, Joe, you can't." I yanked my arm away from him in remorse.

"You've got to be kidding me, Nick!" He opened his mouth to speak, but I interrupted him. "That girl knows you love her. She always has."

He took a deep breath and said, "There's nothing you can do, Joe. She told me that I wasn't doing enough for her, and she's right. All she's gonna do is tell you the same thing she told me." I didn't know what else to say. Nick readjusted into his seat.

"I'm sorry," I said, stepping backward. "But I'm not letting this happen to you." And I left.

JJDL

*****Leave your comments!*****