Chapter Forty - "Happy Birthday."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Forty

'Happy Birthday.'

Scene . . .

Present

Joe's POV

After leaving the museum , I headed home, my mind unfocused during the drive. I couldn't keep all of my thoughts in one place; there was so much confusion, and scandal, and drama, and mystery - ALL because of Selena. She was the discrepancy in my life, of that much I was sure. 

But something about her made me certain that she was hiding something major, and that something is what kept me around. I had to find out what it was, whether I liked her or not. That was the pull she had on me since our affair. She had a mysterious control over me that I absolutely could not resist. It wasn't an attraction, but something more. An unwarranted connection between to people that wanted nothing more than to have just the opposite. A living oxymoron.

My heart and soul wanted Demi more than my body wanted Selena; of that I was certain. And that was enough. 

When I arrived home, I walked into the door to find Nick on the phone, speaking quickly and firmly, his voice seemingly professional. He was pacing before he saw me, and once he turned to me, he maintained eye contact for the duration of his phone call. By his body language, I could tell that the call was relevant to me in some way, so I stayed and waited.

"Is there any more information you can give me?" He asked, a brief silence following.

"Okay, no I understand. I appreciate it. You too. Goodbye." Nick took the phone away from his ear, ending the call and placing the phone into his back pocket.

" Nick took the phone away from his ear, ending the call and placing the phone into his back pocket

"What was that about?" I asked, shutting the front door behind me. He cleared his throat before he began speaking.

"That was Dallas's hotel. Apparently she's checking out in the morning."

"So what about Demi?" I asked, my eyes following Nick as he took a seat on the couch.

"I don't know. I feel like she knows something's up." I nodded at Nick, which caused his faced to become confused. "Are you not telling me something?" He asked, studying me. I sighed.

"I may or may not have told Demi that I was gonna do something big for her birthday."

"Wha- when?" 

"The day I saw her at the hotel."

"And you didn't want to tell me this? Joe there's no way I can convince her to come here, now."

"I honestly didn't think about it," I said, which wasn't entirely true. I replayed that day on a continuous loop, forcing myself to remember everything that I was working for. I'd only neglected to mention it to Nick because I didn't want some speech about being 'stupid enough' to want to marry her so soon.