Chapter 14: mutation incident

•Leonardo's POV•

"No!" I cried in horror as I watched Sky plunge into the dangerous glowing chemical

A moment of silence washed over us, no one dared utter a word, not even the kraang moved. My brothers looked away, too scared to see what would become of her. But I couldn't tear my gaze away from it. I had to know if she would make it through that horrible process, but I feared the outcome as well.

"Leo...this is the only chance we got" Raph said, trying his best to look unfazed by the situation "the kraang aren't paying attention, we can escape"

I looked back one last time at the tank, she was still drowning in the liquid. Her silhouette didn't budge. She could be gone...

"Leo, if we're gonna act, we gotta act now" Donnie stats

"okay" was all I could say

I started swinging myself back and forth, my brothers soon followed my lead and swung with me. At the right moment, I cut the rope with a throwing star and jumped, barely missing the large receptacle. I landed a few feet away from the tank and looked behind to see if my brothers had made it. A sigh left my lips when I saw them each behind me and waiting for my next command.

I was about to clear a path for us to escape when I heard the sound of splashing water. I looked up and saw Skylar's silhouette moving in the tank. She was still alive!

•Skylar's POV•

There is no way to describe how I feel. It mainly hurts, knowing I'm a lab rat destined to live the rest of my life locked up and my family was nothing more than a trick, a joke. Things just couldn't get worse for me. Oh yeah, I forgot the fact that I was getting mutated.

The liquid felt like lava against my skin. It stung so badly. And my organs were crying for air. I swam back to the surface and clutched the edge of the tank, gasping for air and spitting out the mutagen that had found its way into my mouth. I felt like everyone's eyes were on me, including my mom and the kraang. I looked around, finally spotting the boys who had escaped their trap.

"S-sky.....?" They all stared at me wide eyed

I held my face in my hands "what did I turn into? Do I have scales or fur? Please be fur. I don't wanna have slimy scales"

They shook their heads but still remained silent. Was that a good or a bad sign? Where was a mirror when you need one! I felt someone staring at me and looked down seeing my birth giver staring right back at me, her eyes showing how shocked she was.

"H-how is that possible?" She thought aloud "is she immune?" She asked a couple of kraangbots who only shrugged

I looked down at my hands, and they were still the same. No fur, no scales, no fingers missing. I was still human! I cheered, flaring my arms above my head. Sadly, I wasn't careful and fell back into the mutagen. I got back to the surface, trying to cough out the amount of mutagen that I sorta swallowed.

"She didn't mutate!" I heard Mikey cheered

"But why?" Raph questioned

"She must be immune to the chemical" Donnie pointed out

Leo rolled his eyes at his younger brothers "can't we talk about this later? We got to find a way out of here"

"What's the plan then?" Raph asked

His leader was unable to provide an answer before the kraangbots surrounded them. I pulled myself out of the slimy green liquid and out the tank, landing a few feet away from the turtles. I shook myself like a wet dog, removing all the green ooze out of my hair and clothing and joined the green reptiles.