TWENTY-TWO

OPORTET ESSE INTERFECTORES

-----------------------------------------------------

WE MUST BE KILLERS

JASON MCCANN

Quiet. It was quiet for a long time. Eyes were diverted and lips were chewed, but anger was not spewed.

Her eyes didn't cross my own and his didn't either.

"Was this the plan?" I asked calmly.

Still nothing.

"Jason. I used you." This was the first time she actually looked at me. Right in the eye unlike before. "I only have eyes for Julian." Her voice was so cold.

I swallowed harshly, refusing to talk. I had to leave, get out of here. Anywhere my feet could go and take me. I wasn't sure if I felt pain, I think I was numb and that was comforting. I didn't want to feel it, any of it.

I found myself back in my office, leaning back against the door and breathing heavily. My blinds were shut and only some light could be seen from the hallway. It wasn't exactly a dark paradise, but it was close.

And then I snapped. I shoved everything off my desk, kicked in my bookshelf, split my phone in half, slammed the photos on my desk into the floor. I didn't care anymore. I wouldn't cry —I'd never cried in my life. I only allowed myself to feel anger.

I shouted at the wall that had not a gram of sympathy for me. It was haunting.

I paced around in the ruins of my office for the longest time until I was able to collect myself and stop right in front of the wall. I grimaced and then I raised my fist and hit it. The drywall didn't puncture once—no matter how many times I hit it. I didn't count the punches I inflicted on the wall, all I remember is the blood that splattered against it.

The red and white blended perfectly together in hatred and rage. With each punch my knuckles transitioned from a steady lilac to a deep indigo. The colors distracted me from the screaming and wailing coming from outside the room.

I hit the wall until I couldn't anymore. That's when I found myself in the hospital wing of the school, unable to move my left hand or feel my right foot.

I sat up and ripped the IV needle from my forearm, stumbling out of the twin size bed and onto the floor. My right foot didn't cooperate in moving with me which made it ten times harder to get around.

"Jason you need to rest, you're not allowed to go anywhere." Carrie, the female nurse reminded me, as she helped me up from my position on the bedside table, "and you need these fluids."

"Like hell I am." I growled. I wasn't in the mood for any bullshit today. I already owed Headmaster James an explanation for my erratic behavior and I had no excuses in mind.

"Yes, Jason. I think it's best you rest." There he was.

I sat back down on the bed, allowing the nurse to adjust the IV needle back into my vein and clean the cuts I had no idea how I'd gotten. It stung.

"I apologize Headmaster, for-"

"Timothy's actions? There's no need, you can't apologize for what he's done." He smiled at me. "There will be severe punishment for the destruction of your office and everything will be remodeled." His smile looked convincing, but his eyes said otherwise. He was aware I'd destroyed my own office, yet he refused to punish me.

"Thank you." I nodded my head.

"My pleasure." He said and then he was gone, as usual.

My thoughts were circled around my cover up and the betrayal Mary inflicted on me, it fueled my rage. Every time I thought about it I became furious.

I thought about it everyday—everything she said. Maybe I over-analyzed it, but something was off. She was so bent on having me—I doubt she would let me go that easily.

When I was finally released from the hospital wing back into general population, I went to my suite first. I changed into a fresh red button up, black dress pants and a dress shoe—my other foot was in boot cast.

My clothes covered the majority of the scars on my body, but neglected the ones on my face. My reflection was disturbing. From the wounds to the bruises, to the inner part of me—the demons that pooled beneath the surface of my skin.

Aaron was right. I couldn't hide who I was forever—who I am, but I could make it worth my while. As long as Bradley was still in debt.

Taking the nice, sleek Mike Wazowski tie I fixed it around my neck. I wore the apple watch too.

"It's not polite to lurk in the shadows, Aaron." I said.

"If I hadn't, you would've made me leave." He replied. "Sulking over a piece of ass I see, how very 'un-McCann,' like."

"What I do is none of your concern. You answer to me." I sneered.

"Mom would be displeased."

"Mom isn't in charge here." I reminded him. "I carry the ring." I slipped the diamond encrusted gold ring on my pinky finger before I fixed the collar on my shirt.

It was quiet.

"I want you to put a bullet between the eyes of Julian Sanders."

"You can't, yet. He's vital to us." Aaron leaned against the doorframe of the bathroom. His face was unusually serious and his body language was gruff.

"At your earliest convenience, get it done." I turned towards him, my face hardening by the moment. I wasn't angry I was vengeful and vengeance would be mine.

-

hi I'm not dead :)

tell me your thoughts/predictions in the comments for an update.

-ron