Chapter 2- The Plan

After a ride that seemed to last forever, the train screeched to a sudden halt at the Canterlot station. Twilight Sparkle hopped out along with the many other passengers.

A lot of passengers for this time of day, thought Twilight.
As Twilight bounded toward the castle, she noticed that her hooves were being soiled with what looked like a heavy glue. However, she ignored the mysterious "glue" and eventually reached the front doors. She stated her business to the guards and they motioned for her to enter. Twilight entered the throne room and before she could reach the princess' thrones, Celestia ran forward and enclosed Twilight in a winged hug.

"I'm glad that you decided to come here, rather than cower at the thought of this adventure," Princess Celestia stated.

"Of course I did, it is my duty!" Twilight replied, trying desperately to sound strong.

Celestia raised an eyebrow, clearly not buying Twilight's act.

"Ok fine!" Twilight exclaimed, "I'm not sure that I learned enough to carry out whatever you have in store for me and if I let you down you will abandon me as your student and my friends will hate me forever and I'm going to be a lonely pony who lives in the dark for the rest of my life because I have no friends!"

Twilight panted and Celestia merely smiled compassionately.

"Twilight, I'm always telling you how you are my prized pupil. I have complete faith in you. Even if you do fail a single mission, I would never abandon you."

"You're right, Princess. I'm sorry for overreacting. I haven't even let you explain the mission yet!" Twilight confessed.

"Indeed I haven't," said the princess, "your task is this, a mysterious and very possibly dangerous pony has seemed to come into existence in Equestria. Many random ponies have reported spotting this shady figure around towns. I want you to learn any information you can on this pony and confirm whether or not this pony is an average fellow."

"Is that all?" questioned Twilight. "Why can't I bring my friends? What do I do if this pony is a monster?"

"The pony may only be a poor pony mistaken for a monster, who is being terrorized because of false claims. However, there is a very real chance that the pony is a threat to Equestria and must be stopped from whatever evil doings he or she is preparing. After you gather more secure info on him or her, we will discuss whether or not to involve your friends. We should not victimize them if it is not necessary, only if the elements of harmony are needed," Celestia clarified.

"I understand," Twilight Sparkle said, "the thought of excluding my best friends just makes me uncomfortable."

"Trust me it is for the best," Princess Celestia said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

With that, Twilight solemnly left the castle.