Chapter 21- The Decision

"I'm tiiirrrred!" Pinkie Pie whined.

"Too bad, because we have to keep up the pace," Rainbow Dash said challengingly, "Don't you want to see Purple Potion? Or have you changed your mind?"

"Alright, I'm walking," Pinkie Pie grumbled.

"Twilight, dear, not to be a bother, but are you sure that we are hiking up the correct mountain?" Rarity questioned.

"To be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself," Twilight said awkwardly, "but this is the direction that I saw her stalk off in."

"So you believe she's been following a straight path?" Fluttershy chimed in.

"Yes," Twilight replied, scratching her chin.

There was a minute long thinking session before Pinkie Pie spontaneously shouted, "Look! A clue! A clue!"

The ponies all turned simultaneously to see the object around which Pinkie Pie was hopping.

"Are you, um, referring to that tiny, smooth pebble?" Rarity asked her with an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah!" Pinkie Pie said, "Believe it or not, I've seen like 35 of them by now! Maybe Potion is dropping them. Out of her sack perhaps?"

"Wow, Pinkie! You're a genius!" Twilight replied, grateful for Pinkie's contribution.

"Here to help!" Pinkie Pie said proudly.

"Let's follow the rocks then, shall we?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Indeed we shall!" Twilight said, giggling at Pinkie Pie, who was now collecting the pebbles and tossing them into her pouch.

Just then, Applejack spotted a group of ponies across the narrow valley in the mountain range.  She squinted at them,  shifting forward a little bit and nearly plummeting off the cliff.

Rainbow Dash pulled her back to the plateau, and said, "What are you doing Applejack, you almost died!"

"Don't be dramatic, Rainbow, I just reckoned I saw the silhouettes of ponies over yonder, that's all."

"Lemme have a look!" Rainbow Dash stared over in surprise. "Twilight, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, look! There's ponies over there! We can totally just go talk to them."

Twilight looked over to the group of ponies. "But then we'd lose the trail that Pinkie Pie discovered."

"Well, face it Twilight, we have a better chance of finding Purple Potion if we go speak to them, and you know it!"

"How can you be so sure?" Twilight asked confusedly.

The mares looked at the far end of the valley, then back at the trail.  They couldn't decide which was the smarter choice.