Chapter 25- The Upset

For what seemed like hours, the six ponies continued after Purple Potion.  Purple's running sounded like light padding in comparison to the mane six's forceful hustling through the snow. 

They traveled further and soon took notice of the change in incline and the increase of snow on their path.  Suddenly Purple Potion halted.  Everypony was confused but didn't want to disturb the silence.  The entire experience was spooky.  The only noise was the low whoosh of the wind.

"I thought..." Potion started to say, but lost her voice due to the dryness of her throat.  She swallowed and began again, "I thought that I told you... not to tell anypony about my plan.  And why, I must ask, are you chasing me in this manner?"

"Because," Twilight said, squinting her eyes at the sun, now in front of her, "you don't know the nature of what you are doing. Your potion..."

"My potion is the answer to my problem! I want nothing more than to live forever, and now I finally can!" Purple Potion interrupted.

"But you can't!" Twilight burst out.

"Why not?" Potion inquired, with a look of genuine confusion on her face.

Twilight calmed herself and said, "Because, immortality is not what you think it is.  When a pony who is not destined to be immortal does it anyways, bad things happen."

"Pffffhhhh, like what?" Potion jeered, "How do you know what will happen?"

"Well, studying, but mostly lots of private learning with Princess Celestia herself." Twilight said.

Applejack walked up and placed a hoof on Twilight's shoulder, as if to remind her of the issue at hand.

Twilight Sparkle, understanding the message, continued, "But that's not the point.  Living eternally can corrupt you.  The average pony wouldn't be able to handle the heartbreak, loneliness, and change that occur over the years, and would fall into a state of inner turmoil.  Evil tendencies can start to take control and..."

"Alright I've heard enough," Purple Potion snapped with a wave of her hoof.  "Do you want to know why I want to be immortal so badly?"

Pinkie Pie piped up, "Well, it has to be better than all that running we just did!"