Chapter 10- The Retelling

Twilight Sparkle lay in bed, enjoying what might possibly be one of her last days in Ponyville during her mission. She knew she might have to pursue the mysterious pony wherever she might go.

As she gazed at the dazzling, rising sun through her window, she thought, "Today, all I have to accomplish is finding out the pony's appearance from Applejack. I guess I'll see where I go after that..."

After brushing her mane and grabbing some quills and parchment to place in her satchel, she was prepared to tackle yet another day.

The morning air was fresh and clear. Ponies were chatting, playing, and eating. It was pretty much a normal day.

Twilight walked along the path to Sweet Apple Acres. As she turned her head around, she remembered that Spike wasn't on her back. She became just a little more sad than before. She reached the front gate and called out.

"Applejack? Apple Bloom? Big Mac?"

"What about Granny Smith?" Granny Smith asked, appearing next to Twilight and making her jolt.

"Oh, I didn't see you there, sorry," Twilight said, surprised.

"It's quite alright, sugarplum. What can I do ya for?" Granny Smith asked kindly.

"May I speak with Applejack, please? Or is she too busy with farm work?"

"Oh, sure thing, dearie. Lemme go fetch her for ya!" Granny Smith replied, walking away slowly.

"Well howdy, there, Twi!" Applejack called out with a smile, "I just finished up for today so I reckon we've got some time to talk a bit!"

"That's fantastic!" Twilight said, returning the grin.

"I bet I can just nonchalantly drop in a question or two about the mare during the conversation," Twilight thought.

"So what's up, AJ?" she pondered.

"Well, Rarity and I..."

..............................................................

An hour later the duo was casually sauntering around the dirt path in Ponyville.

"So, Applejack, you know that hilarious story you told me a while back, about the purple juice? I was wondering if you could maybe tell me about how the inquisitive pony looked, you know, for curiosity's sake?" Twilight said with a beam.

"Hmm," Applejack thought, stroking her chin. "she had a chocolate-colored mane and tail, but they appeared to be dyed. It didn't look natural. And, her coat was a very pale purple, like, even paler than yours, Twilight."

Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"Her cutie mark?" She inquired.

"Um, I didn't see it, she wore a black cloak. But may I ask, what's this about?"

"Oh I just thought perhaps I knew the mare, that's all!" Twilight said, slightly nervous.

"Is that so?" Applejack whispered, squinting at Twilight.

"Um, yes?" Twilight stuttered, gulping.

"Well, ok then! I best be heading home now for dinner. See ya, Twilight!"

Applejack strolled away.

"That was a close one!" Twilight told herself.