Chapter 18- The Refusal

Twilight, peering around a blue, prickly bush, carefully studied Purple Potion.

Based on the path that she was taking, Twilight Sparkle inferred that she must be heading towards the Canterlot mountains, which were mostly unexplored and potentially dangerous. However, there was still time to prevent Purple Potion from reaching the needed ingredient, because she had yet to pass through the small forest.

Twilight inhaled and exhaled, calming herself before approaching the mare.  She tapped on her behind lightly, making Potion flinch.

Turning around instantly, Purple asked, "Why are you following me? Are you here to help?"

"Not exactly," Twilight replied, "I'm here to convince you to rethink your decision to make this potion."

"Are you for me or against me, pony?" Potion asked, annoyed and confused.

Twilight thought, then said, "I'm not sure that I'm either.  You need to know that life the way it is should not be messed with, and immortality should not be in your hands."

"Huh!" Purple scoffed, "You're just jealous that I've found the secret to immortality and you haven't! You can't be serious about me quitting now!"

"Not at all," Twilight said honestly, "I meant that nopony should have that kind of extreme power, except perhaps the princesses."

"It's not like Equestria is going to be torn in half!  I'm not listening to you anymore.  If you're not going to be at all supportive, then you should just move on home now," Purple Potion said, walking away.

Twilight jogged to catch up to her and stopped her again.

"Please, just listen to me! Anypony who must lurk through innocent citizens homes at night, leaving a trail of purple liquid, and who must isolate his or herself from everypony during the day can't be up to anything good!  You know deep inside you that this isn't the correct choice to make! I know from experience that it's not fun to be alone.  Immortality will not make you happy, friends will!" Twilight said sincerely.

"Excuse me!" Potion replied, "You told me you weren't assuming bad things about me and my life! Also, how would you even know whether I've been alone."

"Because," Twilight began nervously, "I talked to your sister."

Twilight braced herself as Potion screeched, "You talked to my SISTER? Who do you think you are? Seriously, just do me a favor and get out of my life! If you follow me or try to track me down I will have no choice but to transport you back to your home myself!"

Twilight, completely defeated, walked away, for the first time without any list or plan.