2: Cordelia

"Why are here, again?" I asked.

Lucie sighed tiredly. "You know why. Christopher is showing us his new invention."

Lucie, Jesse Blackthorn, and I all sat in the parlour of aunt Cecily, and uncle Gabriel's manor. Jesse was with us, because he and Lucie had just started courting. He was now living in the Institute, since he had runway from his mother, Tatiana, and his sister Grace. He did not believe in all their hatred, and had shown up at the Institute door. Aunt Tessa and uncle Will had welcomed him, warmly.

I sighed. "I do hope it is something exciting."

"He said it would be." Lucie said.

Lucie was my Parabatai, and there wasn't a person I loved more in the world. She always knew what I was feeling, and always knew how to comfort me. Just then, three people walked into the parlour. Anna Lightwood, Christopher's elder sister and Lucie and Jesse's cousin. She was dressed as a boy. Anna preferred to court women, but that never bothered any of us, but it did the Clave. Next, was Matthew Fairchild, who was smiling. That was Matthew, always smiling, always happy. Finally, was James Herondale, Lucie's elder brother, and the love of my life.

He and Matthew were Parabatai, and were rarely parted from one another. James was looking around the room casually, his golden eyes bright. My heart stuttered at the sight of him, and I blushed. They all took a seat.

"Where is Chris, then?" Anna asked.

"Uncle Gabriel said he was out, but he would be back soon." Lucie sighed.

Aunt Cecily then walked into the parlour, carrying five year old Alexander Lightwood, Christopher and Anna's younger brother. Aunt Cecily was uncle Will's younger sister. Anna stood up, and hugged her mother. She lived in her own flat in London, only had moved out a few months ago. Uncle Gabriel and Jesse's mother were siblings, though uncle Gabriel did not speak to her, anymore.

"You need to visit more." Aunt Cecily told Anna. "Your father and I miss you, dearly."

"You know I visit whenever I can, mother." Anna said. "And how are you my little Alex?"

Alexander giggled, and hugged his sister. Anna smiled, and then took her seat again. Aunt Cecily then greeted all of us.

"How is your mother and father?" Aunt Cecily looked at James and Lucie.

"Well." James replied. "He and mother are thinking about going to Paris for the week. My father sends his best wishes to you, and wants you to visit the Institute soon."

Aunt Cecily smiled. "Tell him I will soon."

"He also said to not bring uncle Gabriel." Matthew added in, looking amused.

"Sounds like something he would say." Uncle Gabriel said, walking into the parlour.

He smiled widely at the sight of his daughter, and hugged her, and then greeted everyone else.

"Where in the angel's name is Christopher?" I asked.

"You know how he is, Cordy, he probably got lost in the streets." Matthew chuckled.

Aunt Cecily sighed. "I worry for him, Gabriel. He is so absent-minded."

He sighed, as well. "That's just how he is. Let's just hope he never gets himself into any serious trouble."

"He's a good Shadowhunter, but he just gets so distracted." Aunt Cecily frowned.

"I know." Uncle Gabriel said softly, putting an arm around his wife. "It's just how he is."