16: Cristina

I sat on the roof of the Institute, looking out onto the waves that were rolling on the beach. It was quiet here, up on the roof. I could see why Mark had come here, on one of the first days he returned to his family, it was peaceful. I found that Los Angeles was much more calm, than Mexico was. Even though there were many people here, there was something a bit more tranquil here, compared to what I was used to. I had come here to escape my life Mexico, but it had only followed me here. I sighed, heavily.

Seeing Jaime, at first I had been shocked. A part of me had been happy to see him, he was my best friend, after all. But the other part felt burning hot fury. How dare he follow me here, especially when he knew I left because of him? And how dare Diego invite him here, when he didn't even have permission from the head of the Institute. I was starting to wonder how I had ever been in love with him. I still didn't know if I believed about not meaning what he said about my family, and I. I heard someone walk out onto the room, behind me, and a second later, Mark took a seat next to me.

"Are you alright?"He asked after a few seconds.

I sighed sadly. "Yeah, I overreacted. I knew that I would have to see Jaime, again. It was something about seeing them together, that pushed me over the edge."

"What happened between the three of you?" Mark asked softly.

I stiffened. I never told anyone this. What Jaime and Diego had said about my family, had only been part of it. Worse things had happened, and I was still too hurt by them to speak about it.

"I--I--" I stuttered.

"If you do not wish to tell me, it is alright." He said.

I sighed in relief. "Thank you, Mark."

He took my hand, intertwining his fingers with mine, and I looked down at our hands. It was quite odd to look at it. His skin was so pale, whereas mine was tanned brown. I felt a pang of anxiety pass through me. If the Clave found about Mark and I, he and I could be stripped of our marks. Then, a horrifying thought crossed my mind. Diego or Jaime could easily tell the Clave about Mark and I, and I wouldn't put it past them. I couldn't break up with Mark, I knew. I loved him too much, to do that. But what would we do when we got older? What would we do when I returned to Mexico at the end of the year? I pushed the thoughts away, I would worry about that when the time came. I didn't want to worry myself about it, yet.

"I won't let them hurt you, Cristina." Mark looked deep into my eyes. "Whatever they did, I'll make sure they won't do it again. I promise."

I only smiled at him, gratefully. "Thank you."

After a few more minutes, we both walked back inside. Emma and Cordelia were waiting for me outside of my bedroom, leaning against the wall. They both straightened up when they saw me.

"There you are." Emma started. "We thought you were never coming back."

"I'll leave you three." Mark said.

He then shyly kissed my cheek, and walked away down the hallway. I blushed slightly, and the three of us walked into my room. I took a seat on my bed, and they did the same.

"Are you alright, Miss Rosales? We were all quite worried about you." Cordelia frowned.

I smiled in spite of myself, at her name for me. I had told all the Londoners to call me Cristina, relentlessly, but they still continued to call me that. Habits were hard to break, I guess.

"I am okay, now." I replied. "It was just a shock to see Jaime."

"Pardon my asking, but were you two courting?" She asked.

By courting, I assumed she meant dating.

"No, we were best friends.We were going to become Parabatai. I was in love with Diego, though." I spoke quietly.

Cordelia must have realized that this was a tough spot for me, because she didn't press me any further.

"I threatened to kill perfect Diego and Jaime if they hurt you." Emma said casually, examining her nails.

I laughed. "And what did they say?"

"They only stared at me, but I think they got the point." She replied, grinning wildly.

"Where's Lucie?" I asked, noticing she wasn't here.

"With Jesse." Cordelia said. "Though, I am not sure where."

"Do you have a crush on James?" Emma then asked her, suddenly. "Oh I mean, do you fancy him?"

Cordelia turned pink, and smiled embarrassed. "Um, yes I do."

"Awww." I smiled. "Cute."

"Does he like you back?" Emma asked.

"I do not think so. It is alright, though, I accepted that he would not return my affection a long time ago." She said.

"Well, he danced with you the entire night, yesterday." I pointed out.

Cordelia blushed. "I do not think he fancies me."

"Do all the girls like him in London?" Emma questioned, curiously.

"Sort of. Most fancy Matthew, instead. Only because he is ever so charming." Cordelia chuckled.

"How long have you and Lucie been Parabatai for?" I asked.

"Only for about six months. James and Matthew have been Parabatai since they were twelve." She replied, and then looked at Emma. "What about you and Mr. Blackthorn?"

"Since we were fourteen." Emma's smile disppeared.

I knew that she regretted becoming Parabatai with Julian, and so did he. They were hopelessly in love with each other, and I worried for them. If the Clave found out, they could be stripped of their marks, just like how Mark and I could. The Clave was meant to solve problems, but really, they were the root to everyone's problems. I was about to say something, when all of the sudden, Livvy ran into my room, looking out of breath and wide eyed.

"What is it, Livvy?" Emma asked.

"Mantid demons." She panted. "They're attacking the Institute."