39: Cristina

I stood in the ballroom of the Institute, at the Londoner's going away party. There were a lot of people. Emma and I had gone a bit overboard when inviting people. Half of them didn't even know that they were from the past, we only said they were distant relatives of the Blackthorns. Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, Alec, and Magnus were all here. Rafael and Max in either of their dad's arms. Tessa, Will, and Jem were also here.

Emma and I were standing by ourselves, watching everyone else. Julian and Mark were standing with Matthew, talking. Lucie, Cordelia, Anna, and Tessa were all talking, but Tessa wasn't really paying attention. She was busy smiling at Will, James, and Jace, who were all laughing together. Clary and Simon were talking to Jem, Alec walking up to them. Magnus was entertaining Rafael, and Isabelle was running around with Tavvy, again.

"We certainly did good." Emma said.

I smiled. "We did. Good job, Em."

Emma chuckled. "You too, Tina."

I then saw James walk up to Cordelia, and embrace her. I smiled at the two of them. They had told us this morning that they were dating, or "courting" as they called it. Lucie had been so excited, and Matthew looked very happy for James.

"Cute, aren't they?" Emma mused.

"They are." I agreed, smiling. "At least someone gets to be with who they love."

She sighed. "Yeah."

I spotted Dru walking with Isabelle and Max, grinning. Ty was talking to Jesse, smiling, and Livvy was talking to a boy I didn't know, blushing. I smirked at her, this was the first time I had seen her with a boy besides Ty. Lucie, Cordelia, and Anna then walked up to us.

"You two have outdone yourselves." Lucie smiled at Emma and I.

I beamed. "Thank you. We wanted to give you all a good going away party."

Cordelia sighed sadly. "I am going to miss you all so much."

"We will too." Emma frowned.

"Stop making this so sad. This is our last night together!" Anna said.

We all chuckled.

"She's right." I smiled. "No more sadness!"

Lucie chuckled. "That might be hard. My mother is most definitely going to cry tonight, knowing my father has to go back."

"I can't blame her. I don't even want to know that that feels like." Emma replied.

"Yes. She has uncle Jem now, though. They'll get through it together. Grieve my father together." Lucie smiled sadly.

"She'll be missing all of you, too." I said. "Very much."

"I do not want to talk about this anymore." Cordelia stated.

We all laughed, and agreed to not talk about any sad stuff, anymore. All the other girls then went off to their own thing, and I was left alone. I'm so lame, I thought to myself.

"You look like you're having fun." A voice said from behind me.

I smiled immediately, and turned around, to see Mark. His pale blonde hair was nearly styled, and he looked beautiful in his tuxedo.

"Loads." I chuckled lightly.

Mark smiled. "Do you want to go for a walk?"

"Sure." I smiled slightly.

We both then walked towards the doors of the Institute, and I spotted Clary on our way out. She grinned at Mark and I, and bumped Jace on the shoulder, and he smirked at us. I only blushed, and looked away from them. Mark and I walked out into the cold night, and I shivered slightly, considering I was only wearing a dress. We walked along the beach, the waves rolling onto the shore. The ocean looked different here, than it did in Mexico. I couldn't pinpoint what it was, but it had a different feel to it.

"I can't believe they're all leaving. It feels like they just got here." Mark started casually.

"Me neither. It's going to feel strange without them. Like the Institute is empty." I said.

"Yeah." He agreed, and then grinned. "Livvy and Dru must be crushed. Matthew's leaving."

I chuckled. "They must be. I've never seen anyone so obsessed with another person, before."

"It must be scary for him." Mark laughed.

"He must be used to it. I mean, look at him." The words were out of my mouth before I could stop them.

I mentally slapped myself. Great, now look what you've done, Cristina. You've made things awkward as hell. I looked over at Mark, but he only looked amused. Relief went through me, and I relaxed.

"What I meant was that--" I started quickly.

He chuckled. "You're allowed to think people are attractive, Cristina."

I bit my lip. "It just feels weird." I mumbled.

"Why?" He asked softly.

"I don't know how to describe it. It just it." I avoided his gaze.

We were silent again for a few minutes.

"You look beautiful." Mark said but then smiled. "But you always look stunning, so I'm not surprised."

I sighed, closing my eyes. "I wish you wouldn't say stuff like that."

"I know." He said. "But I can't help it."

I stopped walking, and so did he. We both stood centimetres apart, and his eyes were bright.

"Cristina," Mark started. "I've made a mistake. I never should have let you go. Everyday without you has been hell, and I need you. I love you so, so much, that it kills me. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, and just to see your face, makes me feel like the happiest person in the world. I don't care about the Clave or any law, I want to be with you. Forever."

My mouth dropped open. My heart melted at his words. Did he really think that highly of me? My eyes welled with tears.

"I love you, too, Mark. So much. I don't care about the law, either. I would rather be with you for as long as I can, rather than never at all." I whispered.

Mark then pressed his lips to mine, and I pulled him to me. He held my waist tightly, and I my hands linked around his neck. I felt my heart mend itself together at his touch, and I felt alive again. Mark trailed his lips down to my neck, and kissed and sucked it. I gasped in pleasure, and pulled his hair.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you, too." I breathed.

And I did. Too much for words.