Chapter 29

My brain froze.

You're my mate.

Mate.

MATE.

M-A-T-E.

M.A.T.E

My heart beat quickly picked up as it registered for the hundredth time.

I was Blake's mate. 

No.

My thoughts flickered to all those werewolf books I had read when I was a child. I had been completely infatuated with those stories and at that time- mates were what I dreamt of. But reality had slapped me incredibly hard. So hard that I lost everything. Including my dreams.

I let out a bitter and humorless laugh as I realised something and Blake flinched. Good. What did he even want with a girl like me? I wasn't worth a speck of dust. I understand why he would be so sad to have me as a mate.

"Let me go." My voice was so cold that it sliced the air. Blake cringed even further; a flash of pain in his eyes as he slowly released me and I stepped away as soon as his arms went slack. 

"It's now or never. You can run," I twisted myself- giving him my back to him so as to hide the imminent tears of pain in my eyes. The room went silent apart from our breathing.

"What?"  His voice had gone deadly quiet and my heart constricted painfully.

"You heard me. I completely understand why you told me this. I'll pack as soon as possible and I'll be out of your life," I calmly said although my insides were churning inside and out. I wanted to puke.

He didn't say anything and I didn't dare turn around.

"I'm sorry. I really am, Blake. I know all werewolves want a beautiful, perfect and flawless girl but instead you got me. I'm sorry I destroyed all your hopes. I'll make it up to you- I'll stay away, you won't ever have to see me again-" My traitorous voice suddenly cracked but I continued as if it had never happened.

"-I'm grateful for all the help and I swear I'll repay you. I don't know how but I'll do it and I guess the only thing I can do right now to help you is to get away from you. I understand- I really do. I'm- I'm such a failure-" I slapped my hand over my mouth to prevent a sob from exploding.

I wouldn't cry-

A shriek fell past my lips as my shoulder was ripped violently backwards and arms engulfed me tightly. My body shuddered with the restrained sobs. Waves of electric shocks swept over me time and time until I couldn't hold back anymore. My arms wrapped around him tightly. A last hug couldn't hurt.

As if he had read my thoughts, his hold tightened and he growled softly.

"Can you stop saying rubbish?" He sighed into my hair.

Rubbish? I was saying rubbish?

"What?" I asked dumbly.

"You're not a failure, baby doll, you're anything but. You're the best thing that happened in my life. You're beautiful, you're everything I would ask for a mate," he whispered. My heart swelled and sped up.

"I'm not. That's why you told me about the mate thing- because I was not good enough," I closed my eyes tightly to calm the pain down.

"How the hell did you come across such an absurd thought?" He frowned against my cheek, "I told you about mates because its the most important thing in a werewolf's life and if you ran away we would eventually die in sorrow,"