Chapter 36

BLAKE'S P.O.V

I shot up from the bed.

Something was wrong.

My eyes swiveled to the bed sheets next to me where Hayley was supposed to be sleeping. The only thing that greeted me was a pile of sheets. Where is Hayley?

I slowly got up from the bed, my eyes darting around the room. I lifted my head and sniffed. Hayley's scent had nearly vanished which meant that she had left the room early. A vision of my previous dream hit me.

"Where are you going?" I groaned sleepily and she froze.

"I-I'm going to the bathroom." She replied shakily and I felt a sliver of suspicion but ignored it.

I nodded, grunting, "Come back quickly."

She had barely stepped away from me and I was already drifting off to sleep.

Was it really a dream? It didn't seem like it anymore.

I quickly made my way to the bathroom door and pushed it open. "Hayley?" I peeked my head around but I only saw bare walls. I sniffed the air but there was no whiff of her sweet smell. Growling, my eyebrows furrowed- why had she lied? Where did she really go?

I slammed the door behind me and flew out of my room, sniffing the air like crazy. My foot suddenly collided with something on the floor and my head snapped down.

"M-mia?" I sputtered in shock. The little girl was curled up on the floor, softly crying and clutching a piece of paper. I bent down and scooped her up, rocking her from side to side, "What's wrong, cupcake?" I whispered soothingly and rubbed her shuddering back. Why was she crying? Why wasn't Hayley there to comfort Mia?

"H-h-hayley," Mia shook and I stiffened.

"What about her?" I slowly asked, the uncomfortable feeling creeping up my back.

Mia's small hands rose and she thrust the paper that she had been tightly holding in her hands.

"What's this?" I frowned but she burrowed her face into my shoulder and cried harder.

 I ran my hand up and down her back to comfort her and with my other hand, I lifted up the paper. My eyes focused on Hayley's messy handwriting as I read.

Hey...I just wanted to say that I love you, Mia and you'll always be my favorite little sister. Don't ever forget that. Oh, and don't worry about me, I'll be back...but just in case...you have to know that I'll always love you, okay? Okay.

Oh and tell Blake that I took his knife with me...in case he thinks that someone stole him or something.

And...Blake?

I'm sorry I never got the chance to say that I love you.

My hands slowly loosened and I watched in a trance as the paper floated down to the floor.

I'm sorry I never got the chance to say that I love you.

The words repeated itself in my mind, whirling around frantically. Happiness, sadness and anger suddenly swept over me.

A small hand rested on my shoulder and I looked down at the crying girl in my arms. I pushed away all the feelings that were fighting to come out and straightened my back. My lips thinned and I felt a wave of determination.

I cradled Mia closer to me and took out my phone. The number was dialed and the first beep had barely resounded before a sleepy voice said, "Hello?"