Chapter 12

Justice

"So, I have a quick question for you," I said to August as he let go of Tatiana's hand. We finally got around to taking her to Toys R Us, like we promised. August continued insisting on paying but we came to an agreement that we'd both pay for half.

Tatiana ran back and forth to the basket, stacking toys. While we were driving she was explaining to August and I here strategy. She said if she stacks the toys up in neat piles, instead of throwing them into the basket, she'll have room for more toys and I can't argue with her strategy, she's smart. 

"What is it?" August asked.

"I wanted to know if we could go out."

He smiled. "We're out right now."

"You know what I mean, August," I replied. "I wanna go out tonight, like on a date."

He sighed and scratched the back of his head. "I don't know. Dominic's got guys everywhere, so there's no way we could go anywhere together."

"How about getting out of New Orleans for the night? I know it sounds a little crazy and far fetched but think about it. We could go somewhere special for dinner, maybe rent a room in a fancy hotel if it's too late and we can just chill there for the night," I replied.

"Why are you guys renting a room? Are you guys leaving?" T asked walking up to the basket.

"No, we're just gonna go out on a date tonight," I told her.

She smiled and grabbed August's hand. "Have you seen the episode of Spongebob when he has to teach Squidward how to act on a date? I'm gonna have to treat you how to act, Uncle August."

August smiled and picked her up. "Oh for real?"

T nodded her head. "First you have to make the first move and ask her out."

"What do you know about making the first move, T?" He asked her.

"I watch TV, just ask her."

August sighed and turned to me. "Wanna go out with me?"

I laughed as T shook her head, disagreeing with him. "No. No. No. You're supposed to say something nice and call her something pretty, like beautiful. And tell her how nice she looks!"

"T it's fine if he doesn't say that," I told her.

"It's not. Daddy said a boy is supposed to call a girl beautiful and tell her how nice she looks, even if she doesn't look nice."

"Well your Daddy is right and Justice looks beautiful, today."

"And every other day," T whispered to him, but it was loud enough for me to hear.

"Nah not every day, especially first thing in the morning. She looks scary!" August laughed. T and I just looked at him like he was crazy, which he was. August put his arm around my shoulder. "But I'm just kidding, shawty."

"You better be," I mumbled. "'Cause you don't look so hot to trot yourself in the morning either, sir."

August glared at me out of the corner of his eye as he continued talking to T. "So, what's the next step in taking her out?"

T tapped her chin, thinking. "You guys have to eat at the Krusty Krab, then you guys have to kiss and get married at the end of the night," She replied.

August laughed. "You're moving too fast, T. Getting married is...a long, long, long ways away."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Well you guys are gonna get married soon, like Mommy and Daddy," She replied.