Chapter 23

☯ April 5th  

August

I turned off my car and looked at the time just before the clock flipped over to 12 o'clock. I grabbed the gun under my seat and stuffed it in the front of me jeans. "Let's go," I said to Shawn.

We hopped out of my car and I took this as an oppurtunity for me to scope out the area. If anything crazy happens to go down, which I'm knowing it will since I"m dealing with Effrin, then I'll have an easy way to get out of here.

The house I was meeting him in was basically in the middle of no where. It was the only house, or place with organized movement, for a good10-15 miles out of the city. This is how Effrin has been sneaking aroiund, disappearing for the past month or so.

He sets up base where no one makes any appearances and leave New Orleans, he's bound to never get caught out here but maybe by the Feds, who're constantly looking to arrest the first suspicious nigga they see.

I waved my hand letting Shawn know it was alright to continue moving forward. He stood behind me being the only person to watch my back as we proceeded towards the house.

He took Cam's place. With Cam being the biggest nigga in the crew he was able to protect me, but not like Shawn. As soon as I walked up the porch steps two guys, who looked like they both added up to be the maximum capacity of the prch, came into view.

"What do you want?" One of them asked.

"I came to talk with Effrin."

The other one chuckled. "That's the nigga the chief was talking about," He spat. "August."

I looked him up and down. "It's Boss Man to you," I replied going into the house uninvited.

As soon as I walked in my nostrals were immediately filled with the smell of week and burning crack. Men and women walked around taking care of business, the women mainly possing as the strippers for the house.

I checked for Shawn and walked tot he back, where Effrin's office was. I've been here plenty of times before but this one nigga, Snake, always seems to stop me. He was one of these reject security guards that landed a job in the city mall but somehow ended up fucking with Effrin when he got into some trouble.

I smacked my lips and spread my arms and legs out, letting him pat me down. I looked to my right and watched as Steal, Snake's twin brother, patted Shawn down the same way. To this day this has to be one of the most uncomfortable routines I've gone through.

Snake shook his head, chuckling. "You've been in here plenty of times to know that I'm taking this shit." He pulled the gun I had previously stuffed out of my pants. He stuffed it in the back of his pants and patted me down to my boots.

He looked up at me as if he felt the knife I always carried around with me. I learned this technique from Justice. Nell patted her down but didn't come across the knife that was in her boot, until we fully checked her out once we took her back to my place. 

He stood up and looked me in the eyes, soemthing he's never had the balls to do before. "Chief will be out shortly to speak to you," He pushed me towards the couch.

"I don't have my gun but don't think I'll fuck you up," I said standing up next to the couch.

I never took the opportunity to sit on their couch like they wanted me to. Sitting on their couch showed that I was comfortable enough to trust them, which I wasn't. Shawn followed suit and stood next to me, watching each and every other person in this room.

I don't know how long we had been waiting on Effrin but when he finally emerged from his office I was already upset for waiting on him. I specifically said to meet here at 11 o'clock. I showed up at 12 and even though I wasn't on time he should have been waiting on me, prepared for my entrance.