Untitled Part 7

The morning after my whole body was covered in a fine layer of frost, all the nights I had spend here so far Otou-sensei had me covered with a thick blanket and laying next to him, so that his warmth chased the cold away. But this night I had been alone and without any sort of blanket, so the cold had had free access.

Had Otou-sensei really left me?

Could it possibly have been a Genjutsu or a henge? Would it be too much to hope?

Would anyone notice that I was gone?

I slowly got up from the tree, it was colder today, or was it just because Otou-sensei wasn't beside me? In the end I sat down in the tree once again, huddling to keep the little warmth that I still had. He was coming back for me, right? He wasn't actually leaving, right? I just had to wait a little for him, right?

I waited in my tree for days that became weeks. It became colder, a few snowflakes turned into a snowstorm, but I didn't move from the tree, though I had tried to start a fire to keep warm. The storm hadn't allowed me to. Only when my skin was turning blue and my consciousness faded in and out did I accept that he wasn't coming. I got up and walked, not quite aware of which way I was walking; I just wanted to go home. A thousand needles of pain stuck me all over my body all of a sudden, forcing my mind to sharpen. A few seconds went by before I figured out what had happened, I had somehow walked out onto the ice that had formed on the water, and had fallen through into the water. I began to swim, ignoring the lack of air in my lungs, the needles made me more aware, though my mind was still foggy.

Somewhere in the back ofmy head I noted that I was having a fever, but it didn't matter, home was thisway.