1.8 - Trouble in Paradise

Spencer and Jeremy had been sitting at a table having dinner at The Grill for about fifteen solid minutes now

Spencer and Jeremy had been sitting at a table having dinner at The Grill for about fifteen solid minutes now. Picking at her food, Spencer fished for a topic of conversation before she passed out from boredom. "So...classes going okay?"

Jeremy hardly heard her words, and spoke a few delayed seconds later, once he realized she was speaking to him. "What? Oh, yeah."

"That's good." She paused, desperately seeking for a way to continue. "You know, I'm always here to help if you need it!"

"No, they're good, I promise."

"Okay."

Silence.

Jeremy now felt the need to speak, they were a couple after all, shouldn't they be chatting away during meals? Maybe they had just been together for so long that this is what had become routine. "What about you?"

This time it was Spencer who spaced out on the conversation. "What? Oh, yeah, of course."

Jeremy shook his head before looking his girlfriend directly in the eye with a heavy-hearted sigh. "Spence, what happened to us?"

"I—" "I don't know, Jer. I just know I don't want this to be the end." Spencer responded earnestly.

"It's not the end, of course not, I just feel like we're changing, and maybe our relationship needs to change too."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. We need to figure out how to get that feeling back, or maybe make a new feeling our standard because I know as well as you do that this isn't working, but I want to try. I want to fight for us." There was that Hastings determination again, it never failed to let her down, especially when she needed it most.

"You know I do too Spence. After school tomorrow, let's –" But before Jeremy could come up with a plan of action, the doors to the almost empty Grill swung completely open, and Emily and Matt burst through the doorway, totally in stiches and completely besides themselves with laughter.

"Oh my god, the look on his face! Seriously, I think I almost peed a little." Emily laughed, tears brimming on the edge of her eyes.

"I honestly can't remember the last time I laughed that hard." Matt wiped his own eyes and tried to calm his laughter down to an appropriate state.

"Oh hey guys!" Emily exclaimed as she saw two of her best friends seated right at the next table.

"What's up, everyone? Out for a romantic night on the town? Matt enquired with a wink.

"You could say that." Spencer mumbled, a little peeved at the interruption. Her conversation with Jeremy was finally getting somewhere, and honestly it was one she was eager to be having.

"Of course, as usual." Emily beamed at them.

"Look at these two lovebirds. Alright, well, shift is coming up so I'm headed back. Later, guys!" And with a wave of his hand, Matt headed towards the employee section in the back.