1.11 - Frenemies and Friend-nots

"Ugh

"Ugh. I don't understand what we're supposed to be doing!" Hanna groaned, "What's a mucus and why am I supposed to measure to it?"

"A meniscus, Han," Mona said, rolling her eyes, giving a little smirk at her friend's 'dumbness,' "It doesn't come out of your nose, you have to match the little curvy part with the measuring line," Mona took the test tube from Hanna and expertly poured the chemical liquid into the tube.

Hanna looked away and shrugged, "Ugh, whatever. Can we skip class early and go shopping please?" she said, holding her hands in a pleading position.

"Hanna I wish, but I have to stay after school," Mona replied, "Have to go run the prom committee before Spencer takes over," she winked.

"Fine," Hanna smirked, "I'll go by myself, but you owe me this weekend. There's a major shoe sale and I'm in desperate need of some new heels."

Mona looked over her shoulder to make sure the coast was clear for her friend to leave, "Fine go for it, I promise," Mona replied, with a small laugh.

As Hanna took off all of her 'science garb,' grabbed her purse and ran out the door, Mona went back to writing down more lab observations in her notebook. However, her face suddenly dropped from her previous smile when she saw Tyler walking in her direction.

"Need any help?" he smirked with a seedy grin. Mona couldn't stand him. She was only friends with him because they sort of ran in the same groups, but he was an absolute, what's the word? D-bag.

"Not from you, Lockwood," Mona snarked back, "I'm not in remedial science, remember?"

Tyler laughed, "So Mona, I was thinking? When are we gonna ever hook up? I know you like me," Tyler said, as he leaned his arm against her table, giving her a wink.

Mona looked down and pursed her lips, "Well, the Biebs once said, "Never Say Never," but for you I'll make an exception," she replied.

Tyler moved closer to Mona, "Come on, Mona, 'I could be your boyfriend,'" he smirked, Tyler moved his face closer to Mona's face, "I know you've liked me since freshman year," he said, as he hovered his hand close to hers.

Mona smirked and looked right at his face, "You're right," she replied, moving her face as if she was going to kiss him. Tyler leaned forward.

Suddenly, Mona moved out of her place and Tyler fell flat on the floor.

Mona cackled, "In your dreams, Lockwood," she turned around to retrieve her books off the table, "You'll have to try a little bit harder than that," Mona said, looking right at Tyler's pissed-off face.

"You'll give in eventually, Vanderwaal," Tyler grumbled, struggling to lift himself off of the ground.

Mona turned around and walked out of the door. She had so much fun toying with that boy.

______________

"Hey Jer, what're you doing out here by yourself?" Emily said, walking up to Jeremy who sat, looking dejected, on a bench where all of the 'stoners' hung out after school

"Hey Em," Jeremy looked up, attempting to give a half-smile, "Well, I think me and Spence are officially done," he mumbled sadly, yet also, breathing out a sigh of relief at the end of his sentence.

"Oh, Jer, I'm sorry," Emily replied. She put her hand on Jeremy's shoulder, trying to comfort him, "Isn't that what you wanted?..."

Jeremy shook his head, "I thought I did, but, it's not like I wanted to hurt Spencer. She's been my best friend for like, my whole life. I can't even imagine my life without her," he said, as he lifted his head slightly to look back at Emily.

"Do you feel like you did the right thing?" Emily said, staring back at him with a concerned expression.

"That's the thing. I kind of feel relieved, I was starting to feel suffocated in that relationship," he said, smiling a bit more.

"Well, as long as you're happy, that's the most important thing," Emily replied, smiling back at her best friend, relieved that he was starting to feel a bit better.

Jeremy sat back up, "I'm glad you're here though, Em," he said, still smiling at Emily.

"Of course, Jer," she said, "You know I'll always be your best friend, even if Spencer doesn't want to be anymore," Emily said grinning back at him.

There was a moment of silence between the two of them. All of a sudden, Jeremy reached for Emily's face and he kissed her.

Emily pulled away after a few seconds, "What're you doing?" she yelled, sitting up hurriedly.

"Em..." Jeremy stuttered, standing back up at the same speed, "I like you!"

Emily looked back at Jeremy, her brow wrinkled a bit, "I don't, I can't do this Jeremy," she replied, beginning to walk backwards.

Jeremy rushed to Emily, grabbing both of her hands, "Em, please. Can we talk at least?"

But Emily tore herself away from Jeremy's grasp, she couldn't believe what had just happened. Why would he kiss her? Emily sprinted, squinting her eyes and shaking her head in disbelief, she had to get out of that that school and tell someone about this, anyone but Spencer.