Chapter VIII

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Time stopped for a minute before Erza breathed again, and when she breathed, it was not even at a moderate tempo. She narrowed her eyebrows, carefully examining what the black haired man just announced. Her head tilted slightly before she sounded her voice.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?" She started, with an uncertain tone in her voice. "Did I hear that correctly? Where did you hear this news?" Questions were showering upon the black haired all at once, because of the unsteadiness of Erza's emotions. Surely, this should not matter too much because Jellal is dead, nevertheless, she was still interested in knowing more facts of her husband's death.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mest returned a short pause, but immediately answering one of Erza's questions by nodding his head, then talking. "Like I said, I didn't hear about this information, I found it, and I do not know if it's exact." He said, looking down. "However, if you would put everything together, it all fits and everything seems to make sense."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza stuttered. "Did he kill him? Did Kokatsu kill Jellal?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Wait, that's his name?" Mest abruptly asked, but stopped to realize that wasn't important. "Anyway, to put it in a simpler context, you could say he killed Jellal. However, I would rather say he backstabbed Jellal."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza kept her sharp look staring at Mest, but she was still in a state of befuddlement. "Does that also give a slight answer to why I'm being forced to marry Kokatsu?" She did not know there was more to this plan than a mere arranged marriage, but it was also predictable that there had to be a deeper meaning in everything that happens.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mest fumbled once again, not expecting something that Erza mentioned, looking at her. "You're being forced to marry? To Kokatsu?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza only sighed as she dropped her head, and judging by her actions, Mest knew that she answered his question positively with a negative attitude. He waited for a second to past before his voice resounded. "That brings a greater significance if he wants to marry you," he said, and then giving more information about the topic. "I only started looking for information on this topic when the Magic Council asked me to send an important message to you, and I did not even think it was concerning Jellal."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He continued without any interruption. "For some senses, I had an urge to care about the situation, as I searched information about the day when Jellal set off for that mission, and what I did was go to the places where he had to go and found out reports from the people living there." Mest knew that these stages really had nothing to do with him, but he was part of the Magic Council once, and it would be necessary for him to act like a noble detective or policeman.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"The first thing I came across of is that Kokatsu guy," Mest carried on. "His name resounded, Kokatsu Osaka. People said he just became the new chairman of the Magic Council right after Jellal died and no one knew about it until then, but what was really foreign was that apparently, Kokatsu was like his friend, best friend."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Immediately, before Mest could continue or Erza asking another question, everyone heard Laxus in the back grimacing, turning their heads to him as the blond haired mage frowned.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He crossed his arms. "The only people that should be called his best friends besides his own family is me or the members of Crime Sorcière before. In such manner, that meant that Kokatsu was with him a lot that people thought they were doing the mission together?" He clenched his teeth. "Fundamentally, he was trying to earn Jellal's trust and waiting for the perfect time to kill him, the exact definition of what you described earlier, backstabbing."