Chapter XX

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Pitch white.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Or in other words that make sense, silence.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Jeraline and Eric's mouth only fell open and they were just gasping from the unexpected struck with feeling of wonder, joy and fear all mixed together. There was a sudden emotion of dizziness and euphoria that the children had in their stomachs, accompanied also with the racing heartbeat. The blue haired man that had a scarlet tattoo above and below his right eye mercifully smiled in front of Jeraline and Eric, with watery eyes that showed so many expressions.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This was Jeraline and Eric's father — Jellal Fernandes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He was alive, breathing right in front of them. He looked a bit older though, with long hair that was tied up from the back in a tiny ponytail, and there were small hairs growing on his chin from the front and the sides, forming a beard. His voice broke tearfully as he said the children's names. "Jeraline, Eric —"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Jeraline and Eric rethought the situation, and then immediately interrupted the man with spells that were involving knives, heading towards him as he gasped and instantly cast a circle spell that protected him from all angles, which made Jeraline and Eric's eyes widen. They both backed away, giving a chance for the mysterious man to enter the house, and take off his shoes as he closed the door.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Jeraline and Eric stopped, narrowing their eyebrows as the man panted, ceasing his magic. He caught his breath, crossing his eyebrows as sputtered. He spoke first, licking his lips with a darted gaze that focused on Jeraline and Eric. "Is that really the way you two greet me after not seeing me for over two years?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"If you were really our father, why didn't you come back?" Jeraline said, which made the man swallow hard, as Eric looked up at his sister, flinching, and then Jeraline breathed again. "If you were really our Papa, prove something that will make us believe you." She waited for the man that claimed to be his father answer, as his knees felt weak, biting down his bottom lip.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mama taught you to be that defensive, didn't she?"  He asked, seeing the children giving him a downcast expression. He kept talking, frowning. "That is the very reason why I need you to give me time to explain and not just suddenly attacking me as if I was a spawn of Satan himself, disguised as your own father."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Jeraline and Eric both looked at each other and then nodded as if there was something that they needed to do. They both looked back at the man, and then Eric spoke. "Fine then, Papa," he began, emphasizing the family name of father. "We'll talk with you, and you better have a good reason why you couldn't come back until today."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Jellal lingered a grimace, as he followed the two children to the kitchen where he sat down with Eric, as Jeraline went to the stove and got a plate out to ready a food to serve for Jellal, who was soon interviewed with a million of questions asked by Eric, who crossed his arms maturely and held blank expressions.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Explain myself and Onēsan's self," Eric disputed, to see Jellal only sighing.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You could've at least asked me something more difficult," Jellal muttered, before saying a billion of information came out of his mouth. "Eric Fernandes, eight years old born on February twenty-third, mainly possessing every magic that Mama and I use with a tiny hint of his sister's magic — Jeraline Fernandes, fifteen years old born on June twenty-fifth, mainly possessing Knightstar Magic and a hint of every magic that Mama and I use. Both of you hate and love the same things."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Eric and Jeraline's eyes were still wide, but they didn't trust him just yet. Eric questioned him even more, or made him state more characters. "Personalities?"