Chapter XII

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How odd, Erza thought to herself. That was no more than plain odd.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Last week or maybe ever since she came across that morbid image of her husband, she stopped having hopes that Jellal was alive. It was impossible, it had to be impossible, especially the vivid vision of seeing flies swarm around the bloody corpse of a head that was almost half eaten by a bunch of insects or any other creature.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀However, the bottle that Meredy gave her that had the scent of Jellal made questions appear out of the blue. She brought the glass closer to her nose another time which was almost as if she inhaling stimulants or doing drugs but that was not the case. The peaceful scent was so exact that it felt very nostalgic.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Boo!"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza sighed and rolled her eyes, closing the bottle with its cap and putting the item down. "I knew you were there all along, Eric-kun," Erza declared and then turning around, seeing her son that was stumbled on the bed, waiting for her to say something. He looks so much like him, Erza thought as she referred to Jellal and then speaking. "Did your sister leave you, that's why you're feeling lonely?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The scarlet-haired boy nodded his head. "She's continuing the battle she had with the devil, also known as Miralexa."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza stood up and walked to sit on the bed and giggled, as Eric sat up. "I see you're not using honourifics when saying Miralexa's name. I assume Onēsan influenced you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Maybe, but she's just so mean to Onēsan and then since Onēsan hates that she calls her even meaner things and that's how the fight always happens, that's why I don't know if I should even use honourifics toward Miralexa," Eric rolled his eyes. "They're probably destroying things in the guild or something. Onēsan's super immature."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza laughed it out and then before she could reply to her son, Eric spoke. "Why were you smelling a bottle, Mama? It's like you're doing drugs."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza leaned forward as she furrowed her eyebrows. "It's a scent that Meredy-obasan offered — Papa's scent," Erza answers.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What? That's impossible! How did Meredy-obasan get something like that?" Eric doubted, then clearing his throat. "Even we can't get the scent of someone from Edolas, and in this case it's more weird because it's from Papa, who's been dead for a year and almost a half!"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That's what I was thinking, Eric-kun," Erza said, "If anything, Meredy-obasan must've found some scents or kept some scents from pieces of clothing in the old days. Although that doesn't really give an explanation because Meredy-obasan wouldn't have a reason to keep someone's scents."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza had a lack of confidence to this moment, shaking her head each time she thought of the possibilities that Jellal would still be alive. She already saw a head, it's been a year and if Jellal was actually alive, he would've come back sooner. He couldn't be held captive because either Natsu or maybe even the cobra Erik could be familiar with the perfume, since through time, people get stronger.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Kokatsu must have something that Papa had and left traces that maybe Meredy-obasan found and kept," Eric says, almost reading his thoughts. "There must be a reason why Kokatsu wants to marry you so badly and why he's now the Magic Council's Chairman. The law about remarrying couldn't possibly be created five years ago, or else we would know about it. Papa was alive during that time and we knew everything he does."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza had a flushed appearance, judging by the way her son was connecting ideas, which was actually a clever thing to do or something impressive for a seven year old boy. "You've been reading books, haven't you, Eric-kun?" Erza asked, changing the subject. The circumstances were too great for Erza to handle, especially when she wanted to relax her brain.