Chapter IX

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Late morning was the current state at the moment and surprisingly, Jeraline and Eric were presently not with Erza, who was walking down the market stoned roads in Magnolia by herself, picking up some groceries to cook for her and her family.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Supposedly, Erza did want her own time to think alone, such as giving herself some freedom. She knew well to not escape from her problems and face them, but she truly cannot comprehend the situation. Leaving Eric and Jeraline at home may be one of the best ways for them to also avoid anxiety that she was feeling; but certainly, she cannot guarantee that.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Despite anything, Erza continuously dropped by at Magnolia Cake Shop as she just did at the moment, which the shop not only sold delicious cakes but also sweet pastries or desserts that Erza bought whenever she finished a whole lot of the treats.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As Erza entered the shop, the same cake shop owner since X784 was still holding the business which did not shock her since she visits at least once a week. The small plumped man obviously looked thirty times older, but still strong and friendly. The old plumped man smiled and welcomed her in as Erza returned the nice attitude, gently raising the corners of her lips.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, how are you doing, Mrs. Fernandes?" The man asked, acknowledging the fact that she did marry, even when she also no longer had a husband beside her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza relaxed her posture. "My, my," she bit her lip. "I would say I'm not doing fine. . . Nevertheless, your shop seems to sell desserts that always make me less stressed than I already am."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The plumped man laughed. "Thank you, but you mustn't really compliment me," he said, then going with the other things aspects that Erza mentioned. "I've heard things are coming to you all at once for the past month and almost two! News has spread across town that you're remarrying? I wouldn't want to be nosy but I never thought you would move on so quickly."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza slightly narrowed her eyebrows. "I believe you've misunderstood," she replied. "I'm not remarrying because I want to, nor am I remarrying for the money - the Magic Council is forcing me to remarry and it appears that remarrying once your previous partner dies is the new law. . . If anything, I do not want to remarry. They've been pestering me for a while but they will never make me agree to them."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The cake shop owner's eyes widened, as more wrinkles appeared on his face. "What? That's a law?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza nodded. "It's been a law for at least seven months or so, they say." She simply answered.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The man shook his head sideways as his eyebrows widened. "The future is here. . . It's cracking into chaos even more than it was. I wouldn't necessarily call this an evil doing, but this is not right!" He added, and then remembering his job. "Anyways, what can I get you for today?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza recovered her smile again, remembering her food. "Just the usual. Two dozen small packs of crème brûlée, two large cheesecakes and one large strawberry cake, please." She looked down on the glass where the food that she asked for was displayed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The plumped man smiled. "Of course, and you know they're always fresh!" He plucked all the numbers in the machined cash register. "The familiar price, seventy thousand jewels."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Erza nodded, and then putting up her magic that made a screen appear in front of her with boxes. The screen was like an organized storage for requip, as Erza tapped a box and then the whole screen disappeared and was replaced by a small bag that was in the palms her hand, handing them in to the owner. "The jewels."