04; problematic

Rachel had not slept.

Not even for a millisecond, nor did she even try to. It was a waste of energy, which she did her best to reserve for morning; the few remaining hours of darkness had been spent in peaceful silence, laying still whilst her mind never ceased to speed through everything that happened. Not only in the past few hours, but everything that had gone on before, and everything that was to come in the future. As much as she wanted to dwell on the unusual amount of good in her life, there was bad that first had to be dealt with.

They still were no closer to finding Erica & Boyd, and it seemed as though time was running out— quite quickly. A detail Rachel hadn't learned until the very last second, apparently a promise had been made to the two betas that they'd be dead by the full moon. Which, unfortunately for everyone trying to find them alive, was a day away. They were slowly but surely running out of options, time & to add to their already problematic lives, ways to avoid the alphas now found itself on that list too. Two of them, twins, were apparently Beacon Hills High School's new students. Rachel had yet to see any of them until now, but even if she hadn't of borrowed some werewolf abilities before leaving for school to prevent questioning on her inhumanly silver eyes, she wasn't stupid. They fit every cliché alpha werewolf description in every horrible, inexplicably popular novel she'd ever been tempted to read right down to the last detail.

Rachel momentarily felt like the protagonist who almost always had a special kind of hatred for the big bad alpha(s) the moment they met. She never did believe in love at first sight, but the minute she saw them walking down the hall like kings, she most definitely believed in it's hateful opposite. It took her no more than a split second to come to the conclusion that she hated them & wanted them dead; if not for aiding Deucalion & the rest of his monstrous pack, for having the audacity to attend her school. Was lurking in the shadows no longer enough?

She didn't have time to find the answer to that question, once she got a text from Scott, telling her to meet them outside the Economics classroom. Something about the part last night & the girl Stiles had ditched them for— she paid little attention to anything written after "police r here, meet us outside econ" & sent a simple text back, correcting each of Scott's spelling errors. Intentional or not, she despised them.

"So," she began as she approached the two. "Should I have my getaway driver on speed dial?"

"They're not here for you. Heather's missing." Scott deadpanned. The brunette's joking smile faded quickly as she saw the look of concern. "Stiles thinks they might've kidnapped her to turn her."

"Derek said it's easier to turn teenagers." The aforementioned teen added, fidgeting nervously.

"They do have the best chance of survival, yes." Rachel nodded, a sigh escaping her lips as she thought for a second.  The alpha pack may have been holding Boyd & Erica hostage, but they were being used as leverage. Heather meant nothing to any of them except Stiles, and possibly Scott (Mr. Save Everybody).  From what Rachel could tell, the alpha pack was looking to get Derek's attention— not Stiles' or Scott's. "But why would a pack of alphas be stocking up on betas? They killed all of their own, now they're starting over?"

"Rachel, I don't know & I don't care, alright?" Stiles snapped. She couldn't remember the last time he called her by her full name, but she knew it sounded wrong. Did he think her previous question had been a joke? It wasn't. "This girl... Our moms were best friends before mine died, all right? We used to take frickin' bubble baths together when we were three. I gotta find her."