13; family matters

"He may not have been dead before, but he fucking will be soon."

Those were the first words Rachel had said to her sister Cora upon arriving back in Beacon Hills & returning to the loft.

After learning from Ethan that her brother was probably still alive, Rachel was relieved to say the least. She wasn't all that happy about upholding a conversation with one of the alphas, if only for a few seconds, but it was worth it. She could finally relax & stop being the pack's own personal hope enthusiast, and instead focus more on healing the self-inflicted wound in her arm— which had still yet to fully heal, but had improved significantly. On top of all that, the cross country meet in Hell had been cancelled, hopefully forever, and they were returning home a day early.

Rachel had been extremely happy for about 0.5 seconds, until Cora had texted her to confirm that Derek was indeed alive— and screwing her english teacher. In fact, Derek had been so preoccupied with Ms. Blake, that he didn't even bother letting anyone know he was alive until the next day.

"So, how was your cross country meet?" Cora tried to make conversation with her, her gaze falling on her twin's bandaged arm. "What happened to your arm?"

"The meet was postponed, and we were forced to spend the night at a shady motel. Someone poisoned all the werewolves, myself included, with wolfsbane & I think you can fill in the blanks for yourself— I certainly have, because I don't remember shit. One second I was reading a text from Lydia saying she needed help, the next I was dying in an unfinished motel room with self-inflicted wounds."

"That sounds fun." Cora mused, her tone as sarcastic as Stiles. The past twenty-four hours for her had been equally as horrible, albeit with significantly leas death– she & Peter had been out stalking the alphas, trying to find out whether or not Derek had survived.

"It was. I also punched someone in the face." And then made out with him two hours later, but you don't need to know that part. It made her seem like a bit of a hypocrite, when it came to the reason she was here in the first place.

"There's the Rachel I remember." The Hale wolf half smiled, leaning back against one of the many support beams in the loft. "What else did you do?"

"That's it."

"No it isn't."

"There's the Cora I remember." Rachel mocked her sister's words from a moment ago, rolling her eyes. When they were little, one twin keeping a secret from the other was the definition of impossible; it couldn't be done. They'd concocted a theory that the link between them that warned one when the other was in pain, also warned one when the other wasn't telling every last detail of a story.

"Are you going to tell me?"

"Nope."

"I'm hurt, I thought we agreed not to keep secrets from each other?" Cora faked hurt, frowning. It was an agreement they'd made as far back as she could remember, when they were six or seven & had begun sneaking out of the house, eavesdropping on various people; particularly, their mother, when she went out on important alpha business,

"I'll tell you eventually, when I'm sure Derek & Peter aren't lurking in the shadows listening." Rachel assured her, getting up off the floor; she had been working out to pass the time until Derek returned, but it was tiring doing everything with only one arm. Her left one had yet to fully heal, and she wasn't about to make it worse. "Speak of the devil, how the hell did you manage an entire twenty-four hours with Peter? I would've killed him. It was a perfect opportunity, too. There was no Derek to stop you. Dammit!"