30; focus

"Is beer seriously the strongest shit you've got?"

The unimpressed brunette commented as she watched Danny setting up the final blacklight. She was impressed with how the loft had turned out; there was even a DJ table set up, but she was thoroughly disappointed by the supposedly alcoholic beverages. Rachel couldn't taste the slightest bit of alcohol in the cheap beer— the only thing she could taste was a bad decision. She hated beer.

"What were you expecting? Moonshine?" Danny questioned her, almost certain she was still overjoyed despite her façade of annoyance. She was running around like a kid in a candy shop as soon as the first blacklight had bee turned on— he was pretty sure Rachel had set a new world record for selfies.

"If you could get me some, that would be great."

"Something bothering you?"

"No, why would you think that?" She furrowed her brows, playing it off. Rachel's ability to lie was diminishing by the hour, and at this point she'd be lucky to fool a blind & deaf person. But that didn't mean she wasn't still going to try; she was keeping herself distracted as best as she could, and now that they were done setting up she was left fighting to stay away from the darkness in her head.

"I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you look like a hooker & you're trying to get blackout drunk." Danny explained as nicely as he could. He felt bad for saying it, but it was the truth & the look on Rachel's face proved she knew it as well. "People don't do that when there's nothing bothering them."

"You're kidding me, right? Find me at school, I can show you like twenty girls who do that on a daily basis & their only problem is a broken nail." Rachel remarked, rolling her eyes at the thought of those whose mundane problems seemed like threatening. Seeing someone whine over a broken nail or bad hair day made her want to knock them out & give them something real to cry about.

"Let me rephrase. You don't do that when there's nothing bothering you." Danny corrected himself, continuing on before she could comment again. "I've known you for over a year now, Rachel. We're not best friends, but I see you every day at school & this isn't you."

As much as she wanted to protest, Danny wasn't wrong.

Rachel had texted Lydia asking to borrow the sluttiest clothes in her closet, and when she was ignored she proceeded create her own original outfit. It consisted of a baggy white tank top so shredded by her claws it could hardly even be considered a shirt anymore, a black bralet underneath it, shorts & her usual heeled boots. For once she had opted against high waisted shorts & gone with the average style that showed off her physique more.