50; fight

Beep

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Could you tell me exactly what happened one more time, please?"

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Rachel?"

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Rachel removed the pulse oximeter from her finger and tossed it on the floor.

Beeeeeeeeeep.

She sat up and unplugged the machine from the wall, slamming the cord down hard on the floor. She peeled the transparent dressing off of her hand and pulled the needle out, discarding both of them on the floor by the pulse oximeter before her gaze finally turned to the police deputy standing at the end of her hospital bed. "Can you please make that thing shut up?"

Her eyes shifted to the battery powered machine still pumping saline through the IV line. The sound was soft, barely noticeable to the deputy, but to the girl with supernatural hearing and a hell itself in her mind, it was about to become the straw that broke the camel's back.

The deputy walked over to the door and stuck his head outside. "Nurse?"

"I didn't ask for a nurse, I asked for you to make that stupid machine shut up before I put my fist through it." The chimera snapped, her hands curled into fists at her sides as he stepped outside, ignoring her comment. If not for the white hospital sheets beneath her, her fingernails would've been claws and blood would've been seeping from her palms, but god forbid she gave them another reason to keep her there. The compound patellar fracture was bad enough.

Rushed into surgery to remove a few little fragments of bone protruding from her knee that she could've easily dug out on her own. She was more than clear when she told the emergency responders she didn't need to be examined, but no one was going to believe those words when they came from a blood splattered girl walking with a limp because shards of bone were restricting her supernatural ability to heal. Especially not when her friend was leaving in a body bag.

"Oh, goodness." The nurse gaped when she came in to find the pulse oximeter and IV line on the floor along with a growing puddle of saline. "What happened here?"

"Can you make that machine shut up?" Rachel questioned, impatient. "Because if someone doesn't, I'm going to."

"Ms. Hale, you're in the hospital—"

"I was in an accident, my friend didn't make it, blah, blah, blah." She huffed. "When can I leave?"

"You just underwent surgery an hour ago." The nurse blinked, astonished that the girl was even fully conscious and able to be questioned.

"And? I want to see my friends. I asked for them, you know, not that." She gestured to the door that the deputy stood just beyond, less than impressed. Not that she had anything against Parrish; he was certainly one of the nicer deputies on the force, but he wasn't who she asked for. She wanted her friends. More specifically, she wanted to know that Scott was okay.