So That's a Bond!

Chapter 4: So That's a Bond!

Trunks had remained in his chair gazing blankly at the wall in front of him while Pan sunk quietly into the couch waiting for Vegeta to start talking. Bulma perched herself on the edge of a seat as well waiting for her mate to find a way to start his discussion about bonds since it was such a private and personal thing. When Vegeta finally turned facing away from everyone and beginning to speak, Pan found that she was hanging off every word.

"You know Saiyans are complex creatures, but Saiyan males are even more so. My father explained that each person has what feels like a gravitational pull towards someone else. I guess you humans would refer to it as soul mates, but for Saiyans it means much more than that. It doesn't matter race or species to a Saiyan what matters is compatibility and equality. When a Saiyan finds that person what we refer to as a one-sided bond is created," Vegeta told sighing deeply.

"Why is it called a bond?" Pan interrupted.

"It is referred to as a bond because it means the complete joining of mind, body, and spirit," Vegeta replied letting the information sink into the girls head before continuing.

"For a Saiyan a one-sided bond can be the most painful experience of their lives, and if the bond isn't furthered it most likely means that the Saiyan will die. If the chosen bond mate however reciprocates affection a Half-Bond is established. If a bond is broken it means that the person's heart will break and most likely that person will die," Vegeta explained looking at his wife and then at his son.

"So you are saying that because I was attracted to Trunks as a child he developed a Half-Bond with me? Why when I let him sniff my throat did he suddenly calm down and return to 'normal'?" Pan asked blushing slightly once more remembering the feeling of Trunks so close to her.

"When a female allows a male to be close enough to mark a person it is a symbol of submission and acceptance. The neck is where the Saiyan male places his mark. It's strictly instinctual and usually done in the heat of intercourse. The acceptance and vulnerability of baring that spot to him shows that you are willing to become his mate," Vegeta responded.

"If you want to see what a mark looks like then come here Pan," Bulma motioned.

Pan stood and made her way over to Bulma's side surprised when the woman removed her jacket and tilted her head to the side. On her neck was a scar of what looked like four teeth. It looked like it had been there awhile.

"A Saiyan's mark is how he binds the female to him. It binds the couple eternally and although it doesn't kill the mate when their bond mate dies it does cause great pain and it is impossible to find someone else. That's why there is no such thing as divorce and Saiyan's never remarry. That's one of the reasons Saiyan's take it so seriously," Vegeta continued.

"Pretty Panny," Trunks mumbled his eyes following Pan's every move.

"Brat," Vegeta snapped and although Trunks didn't look away from Pan he didn't do anything either.

"So you're telling me that unless I choose to spend the rest of my life with Trunks then he will probably die, and if I choose to be with him we are going to skip the whole dating thing and just straight into bed together followed by husband and wife?" Pan asked her breaths coming in shorter gasps as she began to feel like she as trapped.

If there was one thing that made Pan feel very uncomfortable that was feeling like she didn't have control. Currently she felt like all the power in her situation was in Trunks's hands and that if she made the wrong decision or waited too long then he would suffer the consequences. She saw Trunks shift and made a conscious effort to try to logically think everything through, but she couldn't focus on anything except for the death sentence she would be giving Trunks if she said no. She had feeling for him from childhood, but was that enough to base a lifetime commitment on?