Chapter Twenty Eight

We were four days into the trip and I was just over the moon.

The nights always changed, the boys would go down to the bar and have a few drinks so that Cass and I could have some girl time together.

It was nice to spend time with her that didn't consist with my head being stuck down a toilet.

We spoke about everything, and she even promised to help me find another dress for the spring dance. And I was excited for it, but when I told her how I felt about it, she just laughed.

"Oh Charlia, you're too sweet for your own good. You might see Fletcher as this annoying brother, but he's attracted to you. You need to make something clear with him because the last thing you need to do is fall in love with someone who isn't going to return the feeling."

"Wait, what?" I gave her such a confused look that it seemed incredibly hilarious.

"Okay, so the best way I could describe this is that Fletcher is probably attracted to you, but he doesn't want emotions attached." The lightbulb snagged then and I blushed before shoving her shoulder.

"Never in a million years. It'd be too awkward." She laughed again.

"Then make that clear to him so he doesn't get any ideas."

We avoided the subject of the dance after that.

The days were always different too. We went on all the different rides and we just took our time. I met some of the princesses and when I met Rapunzel, I jokingly asked if I could borrow some of her hair.

Thankfully, my tasteful joke was understood and they laughed before she lifted some of the hair and we 'shared' it.

It was when I found myself watching the woman with platinum blonde hair laugh with a man who was about Alex's height, and two kids pulling a face at the adults and I could feel my feet stopping.

I recognised that face anywhere

We may have met once, but how could I forget the face of the woman who backed my case to stop my father getting custody?

Alex paused and his eyes followed the direction of my gaze.

"Do you know that family, Charlia?" His question pulled my gaze from the family of four and I looked to him. I didn't know how to answer.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Cassadee had come over to check on us. I could feel my stomach start to turn as my gaze involuntarily went back to the family.

They were still there, but this time the woman with platinum blonde hair had seen me staring.

And I could see it as recognition flashed and she turned to say something to the man before making her way over, the two kids turning to him to whine about something I couldn't hear.

My feet moved automatically towards her, I don't know why but I couldn't stop staring. She changed since I saw her last. Something in her whole persona was different.

"Charlia?" Her voice was still the same.

"Mum?"

"Oh my god, you're really here." Before I realised she'd pulled me into a hug and I felt confused.

Why was she acting like this? Didn't she want me to move on and forget her and every bad thing?

My arms shakily lifted up to I returned the hug softly.

"Little bird?" I pulled back at Alex's voice and turned to him. I wasn't too sure what my face was displaying because all I could feel was shock.

"Alex, this is Clarissa, my, um, birth mum." I could see it in his face when I told him our relation. It was almost as if he deflated, but the smile stayed.