Chapter Two

September 24th

Jake had dropped me off at school with a cheery wave. Of course, this earnt confused looks as I made my way into school, keeping my bag hoisted on my shoulder as I made a beeline for my Form group.

Of course, I wasn't going to be granted peace this morning.

A hand gripped the collar of my shirt and I was pushed against a wall, my back pressing against the empty fire extinguisher holder, due to the idiots in the younger years spraying it for fun.

"So, who cares enough about you then, freak?"

"My brother." I muttered and Casey laughed.

"Like he'd stick around. I bet he's just putting on a face to deal with you so you won't get hurt," The grin on her face was one which could match any evil villain. "Then again, it's not like you're a stranger to pain. How are the cuts, you freak?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I muttered, glaring at her.

"Did Everett not leave a nice reminder in your skin? Looks like he'll have to catch up with you then." Without another word, she let go of me, pulling a face and walking away. I just let out a shakey breath as I hoisted my back up on my shoulder and continued to form, ignoring the stares that I recieved on a daily basis.

A lot of people in my year suffered with family problems, but I was the only one who didn't have one. My parents had left me on the doorstep of the orphanage and that was that. No contact, no nothing.

The day passed by quietly. Last lesson after lunch was English and I didn't know whether I was looking forward to it or not.

As I reached the classroom, I realised that I was the first in, so I took the letter from my bag and sat down at my desk before pulling my book out as well. Miss Lorrell walked in minutes later, smiling at me briefly before she set things up for the lesson.

Everyone else started arriving and I just ignored the stares as the class started to settle down.

Because I had a desk to myself and I was at the back in nearly every lesson, it meant that I was able to work without distractions.

It also meant that Casey couldn't get to me without being caught by a teacher.

As the lesson started, I watched Miss Lorrell set up our objectives and the class began talking amongst each other whilst we were waiting.

"Right." Her voice caused the class to fall silent and I let my attention snap to her. "First off, I'm going to collect your letters. They'll be sent off after school. And today, we're starting on Romeo and Juliet."

The girls whispered excitedly as the guys groaned.

I just let my head rest on my arms as I sighed.

As she came around the room to collect our letters, I handed hers mine and she smiled somewhat at me as she went back to her desk placing the letters in her draw.

As the lesson went on, we copied down the lines that people would be reciting. We all knew that Casey would go for Juliet. And all the guys would go for Romeo just to be able to hold her hand.

It was actually quite sad.

"Charlia, I want a word after class." Miss Lorrell spoke without looking up from the books that she seemed to be marking. A lot of the class sniggered and whispered things about how I was in trouble or how I was going to be taken off this project.

I ignored it all and got on with my work.

About ten minutes before school ended, I felt a paper ball hit the side of my head and I looked up from my work. Amazingly, everyone was still working on the lines, but then again, no one dared to mess around in Miss Lorrell's class.