Chapter Thirty One

so this is a sort of warning but not quite. there's nothing triggering, so far as i know, but for the next couple of chapters i'm working on the side effects of cancer. the one described in this chapter is something similar to what my aunt suffered with around the time she was told it was terminal. 

so this means the next few chapters are probably going to be alex's reactions to it, because they're similar reactions to what i've experienced. 

A L E X

I knew the good days were too good to be true.

I hadn't heard Charlia leave for school, although I'd heard a car horn, I paid no mind to it. But as I padded to the bathroom, I heard the softest noise come from her room and then I realised she hadn't left the house.

"Charlia?" I peered into her room and felt my heart break.

"Alex, it hurts." She looked white, and I could see the creases in her forehead and suddenly I felt my heart break.

"I know baby, I'm right here." Crouching in front of her, I felt my heart stutter as her tears fell. "Where does it hurt, Little Bird?"

"Everywhere," She whispered softly, "it hurts everywhere."

"I'm going to call the doctor and see what they say, 'kay? No school this week though." Her face fell before she winced and nodded, resting her head against the pillow.

I contacted the school and let them know what was happening and then contacted her doctor. Once She understood my words, Doctor Robertson told me to bring Charlia in.

"I'll be able to explain some things to you both at the same time, and make sure she's okay. Let the receptionist know that you've got an emergency appointment with me and a nurse will get you right away."

By the time I ended the call, I felt even worse but I grudgingly made my way back to Charlia's room.

"Hey Little Bird, do you think you can move much? We need to get to the hospital." Tears sprung to her eyes and I took that as her answer. It was going to be a long day. "It's okay, let me get the car unlocked, I'll be back in a moment, okay?" She nodded and I left the room.

Once I got downstairs, I gave in to the tears that were threatening to fall. I felt terrified. She'd become my daughter in every way and she was in pain. And that hurt me.

After sending a text off to my mom, asking her to look after the dogs, I unlocked the car before heading back upstairs. Pausing by her door, I felt my heart break as I heard her quiet sniffles.

I pressed my eyes shut tightly for a minute before wiping my face with my hands and entering her room.

"Come on then little bird, time to go see the doctor." Scooping her up in my arms, she gave out a pained cry and I had to stop myself from crying again.

Seeing her in so much pain was something new for both of us. She hadn't reacted like this for a while.

The car journey was almost horrific. Any sudden jolt and it hurt her, as well as sharp turns, or turning in general.

By the time we made it to the hospital, I was fighting to keep the tears at bay.

Picking her up, I carried her through and the nurses that saw me, each rushed to help me.

"Charlia has an emergency appointment. She's just in pain. Every movement hurt, any pressure." I explained quietly as one of the nurses rushed off somewhere whilst another was talking quietly on the phone.