Chapter Five

September 29th

Taking advantage of the unusually warm weather, the guys and I hosted a barbecue in my back yard. Normally, it'd be a proper party, but with everything going on, I felt the need to just have the select few over.

I sent the invite via text, telling everyone that it was an all day thing. Even though my house was a bit of a mess, it wasn't really a problem considering we were all going to be outside as it was.

Cassadee was the first to arrive and in her hand she was carrying an envelope. I knew what it was exactly.

"So I picked this up for you. Who're you talking to?" I grinned at Cass as I opened up the letter.

"Someone who's got my heart in her hands, but not romantically."

"I never really pegged you as the romantic love letter type, Alex." She snorted in amusement, picking up a beer and opening it. "If she can get you writing again, she must be important to you."

"She is. I've just fallen in love with this kid, not like that!" The words were hastily added on at the face she pulled. "I'm worried about her yet she's pretty awesome." At this, Cassadee's features softened as she placed a hand on my arm.

"Want me to start up the barbecue?" I grinned in response to the subject change.

"Please?" With that, she went off outside and I didn't waste time on opening the letter .

'Dear Alex,

So, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It's kinda nice knowing that someone has the decency to care about my feelings whether you like it or not. I don't know if you noticed my address and it probably sounds like I'm some stuck up rich kid. I so wish. I don't know if you were told? Like you're going to exactly tell me right this second as I write it out, ha, now that'd be different. But I live in an orphanage. I'm one of the kids that no one wants so I'm just kinda like a permanent resident here.

But yeah, your letter actually made me smile a lot and in a way, I didn't feel so alone either. I loved the page by the way. I wrote them at the bottom of the page for you because I felt like you'd want some of them back as they didn't have lines through them. I tried googling you, like with the information you gave me and so much stuff came up, so I gave up for a while. I don't know what really else to put, I'm so awkward it's unreal.

Oh, and here's something for you, (because I've decided that if I'm not gonna tell my therapist about it all, I might as well write it to the pen pal whom I'm will probably never meet, no offence or anything.) But I'll be taking two kids to court soon. They've been my tormentors since I started high school but they kinda stepped the line the day that I sent your letter. I don't know when you'll get this, but I really hope that you get it before I start all the legal proceedings, because if I'm honest, I'm scared. I'm scared about what will happen because I don't have anyone. I've got Jake, but he goes back to Uni soon and no one really likes me. I'm sorry for changing the tone of the letter so quickly, but this is the first time I've properly told anyone. I guess I just want to create a world where I can get away and no one would be able to hurt me. Is that bad? Anyway, like always, I look forward to your letter.

Peace and love,

Charlia'

I could feel my heart trying to leap out of it's chest at the written words. The sadness was overwhelming yet it remained at bay, my fingers tracing her handwriting.

It was like something in me stirred, the need to protect and support yet at the same time, I could feel my heart ache for the girl that was slowly becoming a big part of my world. I didn't start writing like usual, because I could hear the car pulling up to the house, so I stored the letter in my back pocket and went to greet my best friends.