Chapter Eleven

February 24th

"So you'd happily fly me out to see and spend time with her?"

"Dude, you're her brother. It'd be like a Christmas gift to both of you or birthday present for her. Your pick."

"I'll go with Christmas gift. That way I can get you something as a thank you and you can't take it back."

"Dammit."

We'd been in this hospital for another eight days. It'd been fourteen days since I arrived and just under a month for Jake. Charlia's condition was constantly improving, but I didn't dare risk leaving her side and Jake still came back every day despite the Uni load he had.

He was really powering through for her. I'd seen him do sleepless nights filled with Uni coursework to go into class the next day. That was one of the few nights he stayed over to take away the distractions which surrounded him on campus.

It amazed me to see him do that, but then again, sometimes you did what you could to make sure that you got your work done. I'd had the sleepless nights over the lyrics.

Many people would have just given up hope by now, accepted that she wouldn't get better. Us? We stuck by each other, talking about anything and everything. I told stories of growing up in London, he told me stories of when he first met Charlia.

It amazed me how a boy who was upset at the fact that a girl who was younger than him had taken the attention off him could become best friends with her.

He told me that Rosie had always said that if they were never married to someone else, they'd have married each other and adopted kids.

That conversation was pretty intense afterwards, because he continually questioned me about what I would do if something went wrong.

But today, we didn't really need to talk much. Jake had just finished his long day at Uni and I'd been on the phone to Matt, knowing full well that we had to cancel a tour as well as set things up for her to come back with me.

"I wonder how she'd react to it all.."

"She'd be confused probably. Or upset because she hates being a burden for someone."

"A burden? Christ, I'd love to wait on her hand and foot if she was ill. Because I'd do crazy shit to make her laugh." At this, Jake laughed.

"If you manage that, record it because her laugh is adorable. She snorts and everything." I grinned.

"I plan to do just-" I turned to glimpse at Charlia, a habit that had made itself present. That was when I noticed her hand twitch.

Excitement bubbled up as I scrambled out of my chair, shocking Jake.

"Get a Doctor, or a nurse. She just moved." The look of shock on his face instantly changed to one which held so much hope that it made me grin. He was quick to vacate his seat, practically sprinting out of her room. "Charlia, I know you're there kiddo. C'mon, you've been out for the count for too long now, you need to wake up." I practically whispered.

I wanted her awake so badly.

CHARLIA.

Days and nights had become a blur. I'd be aware and then I'd be within my dreams once more. But the only difference was that when I was aware, everything was pitch black.

When I was aware of the world, I was angry because I couldn't do anything. I was restricted. I couldn't call out to anyone, I couldn't move.

There were points where I caught snippets of conversations. I knew that from this, Jake and Alex were there by me.