Chapter 21

Kyle's POV

I stood in front of the mirror in my family room and straightened my bow-tie. 

"How do I look?" I asked my mom, turning to her with a nervous smile.

"You look fine, honey, but really, you have to wear that beanie?"

"Mom, it's my thing. And besides, it's nothing compared to my red bow-tie," I laughed.

"Okay, if you're sure. You'd better get going, her school is a couple hours away, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah, Mom. I'll be fine,"  I said, as I picked up my phone, and the charm bracelet I'd bought for Anna.

"I'm proud of you, Kyle," my mom said, hugging me, "My little boy is growing up.."

"Mom, stop.." I laughed and squirmed away from her.

"Get out of here, and dance your ass off at that homecoming dance," she exclaimed.

I just laughed in reply and headed out into the rain, and got into Billy's car, who'd been willing to pick me up and come to the dance with me. 

"Thanks for taking me, man," I said, "I really like this girl,  I think we're gonna be together for a long time."

"Oh, get your head out of your ass, Kyle. How do you know she's different?" Billy rolled his eyes.

"There's something about her, Billy. Trust me, she's a sweetheart."

"Well, you still haven't had the balls to kiss her yet," He replied as he backed out of my driveway and started to drive down the street.

"Oh, come on, man. I just want it to be special. I was thinking of requesting this song she really likes, Stained Glass Eyes and Colorful Tears by Pierce The Veil, and I was planning on kissing her during the guitar filler at the end of the song.." I looked down and smiled.

"Damn, that's smooth, dude. Go for it." 

"Maybe I will."

"Fine."

"Good."

"Good."

"Fine."

We both laughed and sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Hopefully, you can trust her for a long time," Billy said, doubting me again.

"Billy, what'd I tell you? I like her. She's my sunshine." I started to raise my voice. 

"I fucking love h--"

And then, everything became a blur. All I could see were shades of blue, green and gray, and then, black.