Chapter 22

Kyle's POV

7 missed calls. 50+ text messages. 

"You know, Kyle, if you didn't like me, you could've just told me."

"Bye, I guess."

Oh my God, Anna... Where is she?

"B.." I tried to speak, but my throat was in pain every time I tried to call out for Billy. Eventually, my voice cracked, and I murmured; "B-Billy...?" 

What had happened? I coughed to clear my throat, and looked next to me, pressing the red button that called the nurse. They came rushing in like blood off of a fresh wound.

"Kyle, honey, what's wrong?" One nurse exclaimed.

"W-what happened..?" I stuttered, unsure of what had happened.

"You and your friend were hit nearly head-on by another car on your way somewhere. I'm assuming that somewhere was a nice place, considering how nice your clothes were."

"Were?" I heard Billy yell from across the room, in another bed. "Damn, these were rentals.."

"Well, Mr. Hall, we've spoken with your parents and they're on their way."

"Thank you," I said quietly, "Do you mind if I give my girlfriend a call? We were on our way to her Homecoming dance..."

"Oh!" the nurse smiled, "By all means, go right ahead. I'll leave you alone."

I smiled at her, and she was off to go work with another patient in a matter of seconds.

I dialed Anna's number, and painfully waited for her to answer. Nothing. So, I decided to leave a message.

"Hey, Anna, it's K-Kyle... I'm at Riverside Hospital... I miss you.. I'm so, so very sorry that I couldn't make it.. Billy and I were hit almost head-on in a car wreck.. Ugh, I'm just so sorry." I held back tears. "I-I love you, Anna.. please don't leave me." And I hung up.

The thought of losing her was worse than any pain I 'd experienced in my entire life. I wiped my eyes with a tissue, and the tears stung like a bit of lemon juice had been sprinkled into them. "God damn it..."  And then, she called.

"Hello? Anna?" I said as soon as I answered, with all of my strength.

"I love you too, Kyle," she replied, and then immediately hung up. I was confused for a second, but I pondered no more as I saw that she'd walked through the curtain to my bed just seconds after, with tears in her eyes, in the beautiful, pastel pink dress she'd been telling me about, and her hair, perfectly black, freshly dyed curls that were sprayed with silver glitter hairspray. The tears of bitterness and depression in my eyes became tears of joy and gratefulness as soon as she walked in the room, with the smile she had, as pure as gold, that could work wonders and cure cancer. That was my girlfriend, Anna. And I loved her.