Chapter 14: Pain and Confessions

"Did you have a fun school trip?" Ashling asked.

"For the most part," Arthur replied, "I’m worn out though. Do you mind if I take a quick nap?"

"Not at all. I’ve got to head out now anyways. I’ll be back later," Ashling picked up her bag and swung it over her shoulder, then headed for the door. She waved to Arthur, "See you,"

When she had left, Arthur turned and walked up to his room. He dropped his bags and pulled out the box with the bomber jacket in it.

He had bought it for Alfred, because it looked exactly like the jacket the Alfred in his dream wore, and it just seemed appropriate.

Arthur set it on his bed and frowned, wondering when the best time to give it to him would be. It was almost summer, so he couldn’t give it to him when it was hot, but he wanted to see if he’d like it.

He walked over to the window and pushed the curtains aside, looking up at the sky and frowning. Clouds were everywhere, hiding even the slightest evidence of blue sky. It was going to rain.

Arthur swallowed a lump in his throat and his eyes flew to the sidewalk, where he saw Alfred walking briskly, a serious look on his face.

Arthur’s heart skipped a beat and he snatched the jacket, stuffing it in the bag and sprinting down the stairs.

He burst out the front door and ran after Alfred, "HEY! WAIT UP!"

Alfred stopped and turned, his eyes wide as he watched Arthur stop running. He looked sick almost.

"Hah, I caught up with you," Arthur laughed, "I just wanted to give-,"

"Look,"

Arthur blinked and stood straighter, looking at Alfred, who was looking away, rubbing the back of his head, an awkward look on his face.

"I……you should stay away……for a little," Alfred said, his face pinched up.

Arthur blinked and raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"Just…..stay away from me for now," Alfred said, looking at the ground, "It’s not good for you to be around me right now,"

"Why? What do you mean?"

"I’m just going through something weird," Alfred raised his hands up, not meeting Arthur’s eye, "You should go make other friends,"

"Why? I don’t want to. What are you going through?" Arthur stepped forward, one hand reached out, but Alfred backed away. Arthur’s eyes widened, "You’ve been acting strange for a while now, but this is ridiculous," he tried to step towards Alfred again, but he just backed up, turning his head away, "Why won’t you look at me?"

Alfred hesitated and turned his head towards Arthur. He looked away immediately though, "J-just stay away. At least until I figure all this out. I’m really weird right now,"

"You’re weird all the time! What’s your problem?"

"I don’t know, just……I need to figure all this out alone!" Alfred snapped, trying to turn away.

Arthur grabbed his shirt sleeve, stopping him. He hesitated, looking at the ground, "I don’t get it," he said, "I don’t get it but……fine……all I wanted to do was give you this," he slid the handle of the bag into Alfred’s hand, then released him, "To say……whatever it is you’re going through……I’ll wait…but I think you’re being selfish. We’re friends. You’ve helped me through hell, so it’s only natural for me to help you. To act so distant……it’s selfish,"

Alfred tightened his grip on the bag and clenched his other hand into a fist, "I’m sorry," he practically whispered before walking away.

Arthur watched him go, then turned slowly and walked back to his house.