Chapter 24: When The Dust Settles

Arthur was far too used to waking up in the hospital. He didn't even bother being confused, because he immediately knew where he was. And Alistor was sitting in a chair beside the bed, holding Arthur's hand gently as he waited for him to wake up. When he finally did he blinked until he was accustomed to the bright light, then turned his head to the side to see Alistor, he hesitated before smiling weakly.

"Yer awake," he said, at a loss for better words.

Arthur pushed himself onto his elbows and looked around to see the room was empty besides him and Alistor, "Where's everyone else?"

"Home," Alistor said. He hesitated once again as he pushed Arthur gently down, "Listen, Arthur, we've been talking.....we're going back to England when you're better."

"England?"

"Aye. We think you need some time to get over what happened."

"What happened?"

"Aye," Alistor swallowed nervously and pushed Arthur's hair from his face. He shook his head, "Jesus, lad, why didn't you tell us?"

"About da?"

"Aye, Arthur. Why didn't ya tell us?"

"Because I didn't know if I was going crazy or not," Arthur said, looking at the ceiling.

"Yer not going crazy," Alistor assured, "We're moving after you're better, alright? We're going back to England where you can rest in peace."

"I can't leave though," Arthur said, sitting up again, "I need to stay. Al and I promised we'd go to college together."

Alistor seemed to tense, and he sat on the bed, putting his hands on Arthur's shoulders, "Arty, you need to sleep for now."

"Why?"

"Just lie down," Alistor said, his face pinched in pain, "We'll talk later."

"What happened?" Arthur grabbed onto Alistor's shirt as the memories returned rapidly. His eyes filled with tears and he choked, "No," he covered his mouth, "No, that didn't really happen. That was just a dream. I-I've been in the hospital since I came home that day. A-Al is still in Canada," he shuddered and looked at his hands, imagining the blood still staining them. He pulled them to his body and wiped them on his shirt, "B-blood. I saw blood."

"Arty, calm down," Alistor said, holding Arthur's face, "Everything will be alright."

"N-no!" Arthur pulled away, rubbing his hands on his shirt, "Th-there's still blood! I can still feel the blood!"

"Arthur, stop!" Alistor begged, grabbing Arthur's wrists, "I hate seeing you like this!"

"It's just a dream!" Arthur gasped, pinching his eyes shut, "Just a dream. Just a dream. Just a dream. Just a dream."

"Arthur-."

"I-I'm going to wake up soon," Arthur said shakily, "I'm going to wake up and everything will be okay. Everyone will be okay."

"Arthur please-."

"Come on, wake up!" Arthur gasped, smacking his face, "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

"Mr. Kirkland, is there a problem?" a nurse asked, her face pinching when she saw Arthur. She stepped into the room and pulled a vile from a drawer, "This will help him sleep," she said, walking to the bed.

Arthur saw the needle and felt a surge of panic snake through him. He kicked himself away but Alistor grabbed him, holding him tightly in his arms as he struggled.