6 - Broken Mirrors

I awoke the next morning feeling tired and exhausted as if I hadn't slept a minute. I dragged myself out of my bed and in my zombie-like state walked over to the bathroom attached to my room. I blindly turned on my shower to allow the water to warm up. I rubbed my eyes and tried to glance into my mirror.

My hair was disheveled and my face had the imprint of my pillow left on it. I sighed as I rubbed my cheek in annoyance. I began to undress and prepare myself to get into my shower when my door opened unexpectedly.

My uninvited roommate coolly walked into my bathroom and I squeaked as I grabbed my nearest towel. Luckily, I was able to cover myself before he noticed that I was in the room.

"My apologies love," Jay said. "I didn't realize you were in here."

I stared at him as I readjusted the towel around my body. I didn't believe him for a single second.

"You didn't realize I was in here? In the bathroom? In my room?"

Jay shrugged indifferently. "Your guest bathroom is out of toilet paper."

"The water was running for my shower," I pointed out irritated with him. "What did you think you were going to find?"

"The toilet paper," Jay answered smartly. "Either way love, that's nothing I haven't seen before."

I glared at him hugging to towel closer to my body. I instantly pointed toward the door shouting for this unwelcomed guest to get out of my private quarters.

"But the toilet paper?" Jay began as I shooed him away.

"Go borrow some from the neighbor! I don't care what you do; just get out of my bathroom!"

Jay finally got the message and sent me a passing glance before nodding in agreement. He left me alone and I made sure to lock the door. It was something I was going to have to start getting used to doing from now on.

I showered quickly since I was a bit paranoid now. After I was clean, fresh, and fully awake, I searched around for Jay. When I couldn't find him in any of the rooms and he didn't reply to any of my calls, I assumed that he had gone to work.

I fell onto my red sofa and breathed a bit easier. What had Carmen said about not seeing him at all? It was only day two and I had seen plenty of this guy. I let out a frustrated growl that I had been holding in and felt much more relaxed after it was done.

I began to grab for my remote when I heard a faint sound of laughter coming from outside my front door. I cautiously heaved myself up from my sofa and went to inspect the sound.

As I neared my door, the golden deep laughter got louder and I pursed my lips. I took a deep breath before yanking open my front door. Unfortunately Jay had been leaning against the door and fell backward onto me. We both stumbled a few steps but Jay was able to gain his balance while I fell flatly on my bottom. I silently cursed him in my head even as he offered me his hand.

I took it grumbling as he helped me to my feet. He only flashed his perfect smile at me then turned to who he had been talking to. It was my neighbor and the mother of Katrina, Bianca. She lived across the hall from me and I put a welcoming smile on my face and waved.

"Hey Bianca, how are you?"

"Evelyn," she said covering her giggle. "I had no idea that you had a roommate and that he was such a charmer too!"

Jay waved her away obviously pretending to be modest. "Your neighbor was the kind one. She lent me a roll of toilet paper. Isn't that darling of her?"

Bianca giggled again and an alarm went off in my head. My smile dropped momentarily while a horrible thought plague me.

"Well, I'm glad you two met but for now, I have to set some ground rules with my roommate."