24 - Two Against One

Jay didn't come home at five like he said he was going to. I didn't worry about it. I just planned on teasing him endlessly for it.

Then six o'clock came and went and there was no sign of Jay. Nine o'clock rolled around the corner when I began to worry a bit. I knew Jay was an adult and could take care of himself but by eleven, I had started to think that his mother had smuggled him out of the country or something.

I had been in bed since ten waiting to hear my front door open. I had to check every thirty minutes to make sure Jay hadn't just quietly snuck inside. I finally fell asleep sometime around one in the morning when Jay had still not returned.

I woke up just in time to get myself ready for work. I threw my hair up into a bun and prepared my gym bag for the day. I was about to leave when I checked the room that had become Jay's. He was sprawled out there sound asleep and still in his leather motorcycle jacket and jeans. It seemed as if he didn't even have the energy to take off his shoes.

I couldn't leave him in that position so I set down all my things in the hallway and walked over to the sleeping Jay. I gingerly removed his shoes and yanked off his jacket. He stirred and registered what I was doing but he never actually woke up. I slipped off his jeans knowing how uncomfortable those were to sleep in. He was wearing boxers thankfully so I left him in those and his t-shirt. I covered him with the blanket and planted a light kiss on his forehead before heading off to work.

I couldn't even muster up the energy to be mad at him. I was a little peeved that he didn't even bother to tell me that he would be so late but he was so adorable in his sleep that I dropped every ounce of anger. I felt mostly sad that we wouldn't get to spend this day together but that just meant that we would have to ration out our time from here on out.

I gathered up all my things and headed over to the studio. I barely took two steps inside when Carmen rushed over to me. She said nothing right away but just stared at me with an intense look on her face.

I set my bag down slowly yet kept eye contact with her.

"Uh...good morning?"

"We need to talk," Carmen said simply.

We had the little girls in class today so Carmen told them to warm up with a partner while she and I excused ourselves to a corner of the room.

"I was just told that my son will be leaving in just a few days; four days to be exact. Well actually it's four if you include today. It's really only three!"

"Really?" I asked feigning surprise. I did not like the sound of only three days left but I kept my expression blank.

"Cut the crap," Carmen said becoming serious. "I know you know that. I also am fully aware of your relationship with Jay."

"Oh," I mumbled lowly. I was starting to get freaked out. Carmen knew? How much? Did she hate me? "Well it's not what you think. We know we have a limited time but I told him to make time for you before he does with me. I promise that you are the number one priority."

"Seriously?" Carmen asked surprised by my explanation.

"What did Jay tell you exactly?" I dreaded the answer to this.

Carmen sighed and glanced around me to check on the children. Then she met my eyes and raised her eyebrows. "I'll give you a few guesses."

"The dating thing obviously," I said straight away. "But uh...tell me that was it."

"Is there more?"

I shook my head quickly. "No, of course not."

"He told me about your first encounter together when you were just merely strangers."