14 - Unexpected Company

I awoke to the most peaceful position. I felt so warm and didn't want to move a muscle. There was an arm thrown over my waist that was most certainly not my own and another pair of legs tangled with mine.

I snuggled deeper into the source of the heat in my bed feeling the smooth skin and tough muscles of my roommate. My eyes widened and I caught myself before screaming in horror.

I peeked under the cover pleased to find that I was still fully clothed. Jay's t-shirt had lifted up sometime during the night leaving his abdomen exposed though I was pressed closely enough to him that it didn't matter. My eyes worked their way up from his body to his face.

I watched him sleep for a moment noticing his peaceful expression. Even with the piercings and everything, he looked like a little baby unbeknownst to the world he would wake up to that day.

I smiled at him and couldn't help stroking his cheek softly. When I realized what I was doing and the position I was in, I leaped away from him waking him with a start. He pulled away also realizing the situation. Katrina had obviously only woken up twice that night.

"I...um...well..." I stuttered unsure of how to explain the situation. I hugged myself and stoked my arms suddenly missing the warmth he provided.

"Sorry," he apologized quickly. "I'm not used to sharing a bed."

I accepted his explanation and peeked over at Katrina's bed as I sat up only to find her gone. I panicked quickly throwing the blanket over my legs and beginning to stand. That was before I got a huge leg cramp in my upper right thigh. I doubled over in pain onto my bed. This was too much for me to take. Jay woke up leisurely and reached out to me trying to help but there was nothing he could do.

There was a crash out in the kitchen and I pointed Jay to that. He went without a word to inspect whatever Katrina was getting into. After my pain subsided, I used whatever I could to lean against to get out to the living room.

I found them both in there beginning to watch another marathon of cartoons. Katrina clapped her hands as Jay changed the channel to some children's show I had never seen before.

"She got into your pot and pans," Jay explained.

I nodded. "A lot of people seem to like to mess with that. I think I need to move those."

Jay laughed ordering me to sit down while he cleaned up the mess Katrina caused. I tried to protest but he wouldn't let me off the hook. I sighed and took a seat on my sofa resting my leg up high just as I did the day before. It was much better than it was the day before but it was not fully healed yet.

The TV show held all of Katrina's attention until a commercial came on even though those were targeted toward kids her age as well.

"I'm hungry," she announced to me.

I was happy to have something to do but Jay brought in a little plastic Tupperware dish filled with dry cereal from the diaper bag. I crossed my arms and huffed as Katrina held out her hands and bounced up and down in her seat.

"I'm sorry," Jay said talking to me in a 'baby' voice. "Do you want some breakfast too?"

Had we not been in the presence of a child, I would've probably called him a few colorful words or have told him where he could stick his breakfast. Instead I just childishly stuck my tongue out at him.

"I'll take that as a no?" Jay guessed.

I ignored him as I turned my attention back to Katrina. She was mindlessly absorbed in the television and was feeding herself without even looking down at her food. I shook my head at her but smiled as well.