15 - The Team Tries to Work

I practically raced home at those words. There were very few people who visited me and I had a feeling with the new discovery of my roommate, exactly who was waiting for me when I returned home.

Jay said he was meeting with Carmen and wouldn't be home until much later. I told him that he was lucky and that he should stay out for as long as he wanted.

Before entering my apartment, I stopped to take a deep breath and calm myself down. I knew what to expect but I was still not ready for it. I flung open my door with little care and stomped (well it was more of a light march) into my living. I was both right and wrong with my assumption.

I found my mother lounging on my couch as I had expected. Theo was curled up next to her happy to have some attention. He loved my mother.

The thing that surprised me though was that my great grandfather was also sitting on the same couch and they were both talking. Not arguing or fighting but actually conversing like normal people who someone might actually think got along in real life.

"Ah Evelyn," Eros greeted standing to come and give me a hug. I returned it but I knew it was empty. To say I was confused was a big understatement.

"What are you two doing here?" I ventured to ask after Eros sat back down next to my mother.

"We just wanted to check in on you," Mom answered.

"Together?"

My mother and grandfather exchanged a glance before nodding simultaneously. "We were interested in that new roommate of yours."

"Did you meet him?" I asked. "He was a bit startled when you two just walked in without knocking."

Mom waved me away as if that meant nothing to her. "He seems like an interesting one." She spoke of him like he was a scientific specimen that was under investigation.

"He's just my roommate, not my fiancé or anything!"

My mom and Eros exchanged another look.

"Good," Eros said finally. "We don't approve anyway."

"I'm sorry?"

"He's right," Mom continued. "He's bad news. We want you to be with a good guy, the perfect guy. He is certainly not it. We were just merely concerned that maybe you had thought about-"

"Ew, no!" I denied immediately. "I would never even think about doing anything relationship wise with him."

My mom stood up and came over to me. She placed a gentle hand on my shoulder and sighed. Her brightly contrasting red hair hung around her lovely face. "We know about your previous relations with him."

I blushed and developed a quick fascination with my feet. "It was just a mistake."

"A mistake can mess with your mind," Eros pointed out coming over to stand next to my mother across from me.

"Nothing's going to happen," I argued. "He isn't interested in me in that way."

"Yes he is," my mom said. "We've been watching the two of you ever since we discovered this new man in your life."

"He has taken quite a large shine to you," Eros added in. "He seems to enjoy spending more time with you than his own mother. He's also more concern about your opinions of him than those of his mother. It's quite an odd predicament that you've got yourself into."

"I haven't gotten myself into anything," I disagreed. "Don't worry about me. I can make my own decisions."

My mom sighed removing her hand from my shoulder. "We know you can Evelyn."