31 - Valentine's Ball Part 2

I took a deep breath in closing my eyes and then let it out. I rested my hands on the cold white marble of the sink. I needed to breathe and all the oxygen in the world didn't seem to be enough.

I opened my eyes slowly and studied myself in the mirror. My black hair hung limp and lifeless and my face didn't have a single drop of make-up on it. I looked like my average self and that didn't bother me before. Now, though, I was beginning to wish I had put some sort of effort into my appearance.

The bathroom door swung open and my breath caught in my throat momentarily but there was no blur of black, just a blob of white. I sighed and continued to stare at myself in the mirror.

"I think you have your gender signs confused."

Logan strolled in with his hands casually stuck in his pockets. "Listen Eves, I know what you're going through."

I rolled my eyes and gave him a hard laugh. I turned around to face him but still leaned against the sink.

"You don't understand."

"Mom set me up too," my brother continued. "Except she went around me and use Vee but it's all the same really."

"It's not," I disagreed. "Mom didn't tell you that she was against your relationship the whole time when she was secretly planning it. Mom didn't warn you that you were going to get hurt and yet play innocent about it."

Logan took another step toward me and scoffed. "Are you kidding? That's exactly what Mom did for me! That's what she does. She plays the bystander card so we can be her clients without actually being her clients. Mom didn't like my fake relationship with Vee. She was completely against and she totally warned me that I was going to hurt myself and her but did I listen? Did you?"

I sighed and looked away from him. I had nothing to say.

"I've been in his shoes," Logan continued after a while of silence. I met my brother's strikingly blue eyes and furrowed my eyebrows.

"I waited," Logan explained shortly. "Every day, I waited to see Vee and to explain everything. I waited for her because I knew any day I didn't wait, I would regret it. I needed to see her and I knew my life would never be the same without her. I needed her, and Eves, right now, he needs you."

"I don't want to talk to him right now."

"I know," my brother went on slowly approaching me. He came and stood next to me against the sinks. "You're mad at him for what he's done."

I felt my silence was as good of an answer as any.

"That's just it, Eves," Logan said with enthusiasm. "You're going to be mad at him. Not just today, but maybe in a week when he forgets to do the dishes. Maybe you'll be mad at him in a month when he doesn't put away his laundry. Or better yet, you're going to be mad at him in an appropriate time frame, such as another 30 years, when he accidentally drops his wedding ring down the drain."

"What's your point?" I asked growing very irritated with his little speech.

Logan sighed giving me a light push. "My point is that you're going to be mad at him a bunch of different times in your life. You two are from different worlds are you're going to clash every now and then."

"But?"

"But, you both somehow make it work. He drives you nuts, and you talk to him. You drive him nuts, and he comes crawling back to you. You two are both frustratingly perfect for each other."

I huffed and turned around facing the mirror again. I shook my head at my reflection.

"What Mom did to me, what Jay did to me, what Jay did to Carmen-"