Chapter 8

Later in the day, all cats were healed.

"Ok, Hopestar. Here they are." Wetnose meowed. Hopestar could only see four of her cats instead of seven. "Where are Darkwind, Harefur, and Honeyheart?" Hopestar asked.

"Dead, except for Harefur. I don't think he will survive..." Wetnose meowed sadly. Harefur was Wetnose's father.

Hopestar walked into Wetnose's den.

"Where is Harefur?" she asked.

"Here he is," Wetnose sighed. "Hope- Hopestar... Is that you?" Harefur meowed slowly. "Yes," Hopestar meowed. "Hopestar... I... am dying. I need you to pick... a new deputy..." Harefur sighed.

"No! Harefur! You can't die! Who is worthy enough to be deputy?" Hopestar cried.

"Sandwing. She can do it. I know she can." Harefur purred. Then he replied again, "Take care of MistClan for your next three lives." Then Harefur closed his eyes and gave way to dizzying blackness. And it was true that Harefur was dead and has joined StarClan.

"Harefur... He's... dead." Wetnose sighed sadly. "No! Harefur! He was the father of his four courageous kits, Greenpaw, Lionpaw, Crowpool... And you, Wetnose. I'm sure your mother, Applenose, will be sad to hear her mate is dead."

"Harefur... was my father? I knew Applenose was my mother, but Harefur, was my father?!" Wetnose meowed in question. "You... never knew?" Hopestar asked. "Yeah. No one told me Harefur was my true father. Applenose told me that Whitefur was my father." Wetnose continued.

"Whitefur... never had a mate. Most of the female cats are in a deep love for him, but Whitefur can only choose one mate. He has decided to choose Mistfur, the cat he loved most." Hopestar continued.

"Ah, yes. Whitefur. He was Mistfur's mentor, you know. So maybe that's why he loved Mistfur the most." Wetnose continued. "We need to announce to the clan that a few cats are dead..." Hopestar sighed sadly. "Okay, I'll come to the Highrock now. Prepare for Harefur, Darkwind, and Honeyheart's burial, okay?" Wetnose meowed. "Okay, Wetnose." Hopestar replied.

A little later Hopestar called a clan meeting.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come join beneath the Highrock for a Clan meeting." Hopestar meowed with a sad meow. As soon as the cats were gathered, Hopestar waited for silence. She could hear cats saying many various things.

"Where's Harefur?" Applenose asked.

"Why is Hopestar so sad? I can see tears falling out of her eyes!" Sandwing meowed.

"I feel bad for Hopestar. She lost a few cats during the battle with FireClan." Mistfur sighed.

"We have very sad news. Adderstar, Brownstar, Petalstar, come up and announce the cats who died in battle. But I will go first. From MistClan, we have Honeyheart, Darkwind, and... Harefur." Hopestar meowed sadly. She heard gasps of sorrow from the cats in the crowd.

"From SunClan, Dappleberry and Fuzzykit have died. Fuzzykit is deaf, so he couldn't hear the warning to get back in the MistClan nursery. He got killed by Red. Featherpelt is upset." Adderstar meowed in sorrow.

"From BreezeClan, we have Spotpaw, and Blackfur..." Brownstar sighed.

"And from GrassClan, we have my favorite warrior, Silverstone, dead." Petalstar meowed.

"Poor you!" Sandwing cried.

"But there is good news too. Moonheart has had her kits. She has named them Whitekit, Toadkit, Nightkit, and Orangekit." Petalstar replied.

"Well done, Moonheart!" purred Foxfur. "Thanks very much. Whitekit has just been born, and he wants to be an apprentice right now!" Moonheart replied.