Chapter 30

Mistfur yowled a mourning cry to the sky. Petalstar came dashing in at the speed of a cheetah. 

"What's wrong?" Petalstar asked.  

"Mossflower's dead! She's dead!" Leafflight exclaimed very sadly. 

"No... No!" Petalstar exclaimed. "She was my only daughter! Oh, what am I going to say to Tallpaw and Scratchflight?" Petalstar wailed. 

The two other cats stared at each other. The four kits sniffed the air hopefully. They squirmed as they smelled milk. 

"Mistfur! Can you nurse them? You felt weighed down when you came in here, right?" Leafflight exclaimed. Mossflower's spirit escaped from her. She turned to Mistfur and whispered in her ear, "The brown tabby she-kit is Jumpkit, the orange tom is Flamekit, the white she-kit is Lightkit, and pick a name for the ginger she-kit." 

"Jumpkit, Flamekit, Lightkit... And let's make Mossflower reborn. Mosskit it shall be." Mistfur echoed Mossflower's words genuinely. "I'm proud of you." Mossflower mewed back before heading into the light. She saw a white cat. It had a blue streak. Mistfur sniffed the air. 

"Iceprickle... Iceprickle!" she put her head up while the kits were having their share of milk. Flamekit and Mosskit used their tiny claws and sunk them into Mistfur's belly. It might have hurt, but it tickled. 

"Mossflower, let's go." Iceprickle whispered. Mossflower padded over to Mistfur. Mistfur still had Mossflower's final words in her head: I love you. Take care of my kits.  

Mossflower liked Mistfur's cheek goodbye and said goodbye to her beloved kits before bouncing into the light with Iceprickle. 

Then a noise sounded from the outside.  

"Mistfur, we have to go. MistCl-" the voice paused when she looked at the kits. "Hopestar. These are Mossflower's kits. Mossflower is dead, but StarClan is taking good care of her. 

Hopestar meowed, "I am NOT keeping those kits in my clan." 

"Please, Hopestar?" Mistfur begged. "I will nurse them, even if I am deputy." 

"Well, okay. But I will have to make Redfur replace you for a few days. Are you sure, Mistfur?" 

"Hopestar... I'm sure." 

"Okay. We have to go now. MistClan is waiting. I said goodbye to my sweet kits, and I need you to bring the kits back." Mistfur then looked at her with wide, questioning eyes. She meowed, "Are you sure? Mossflower won't be known as their kin, nor will it ever be Icewhisker. I must raise them. Do you really think you're sure?" 

Hopestar nodded. "Quite sure." she meowed.  

After Mistfur agreed, Mistfur and Hopestar began her long journey home. As the leaves started crackling, the kits started to new and struggle to get out of the cats' jaws. Icewhisker and Inknose helped carry the kits back. Mistfur carried the only tom, Flamekit, while the rest of the cats carried the she-kits. They began to walk back home...